Judicial Separation- Legal Aid approved, but 6 month waiting list.

Rob2019

Hi,
Unfortunately Im in a Circuit Court Judicial Separation process.
I have been unemployed over 6 months now and have recently been approved for Legal Aid. My wife (Applicant) has a private solicitor.
I can no longer afford an expensive solicitor and have discharge my existing private one from my case.
The next Court date is in mid-December, and I have a letter for the Judge from the legal aid board saying I have been approved and asking for a postponement.
Apparently this is quite normal that the case is postponed until the legal aid person has legal representation.
However, apparently it is not guaranteed the judge decides this.

It make me nervous that I turn up on the day, present the legal aid approval letter, then my wife solicitor protests and the case is not actually postponed.
- Ive a legal right to representation.
- I cant afford a private solicitor anymore and do not wish to rack up another big bill even if not paid until the end, as Ive no job certainty .

- Question: I cant see how the judge in court can do anything other than postpone the case?...
It is a frivolous alleged domestic violence application for a safety order my wife made (in my opinion to get me out of the family home to strengthen her legal case for the house. I was planning on making a counter motion of the same if needed now, but it just gets all tit-for tat, a downward spiral, more costs and no easy solutions)
. With a long postponement I am more confident my wife would return to mediation and we could get a deal done a lot more cheaply and efficiently to suit all. So stressful for everyone as her solicitor is ruthless and puts lots of ideas in her head as to how to squeeze me so I conceded the family home- our biggest asset.

Back