JSA - 26 weeks exclusion penalty

K

kasparov

Hi folks, I'm new to this site and I have to say it is excellent!

I resigned from my job in September and have been trying to get another job since but with no luck so far.

I have enough savings to see me through until March but if I am still out of work at that stage then I'll need to try and get some financial help.

If I apply for JSA in March will that be my 26 week penalty for voluntary unemployment served (it being 6 months since the date I resigned) or does the 26 weeks start from the date of claiming?

If it's from date of claiming and not date of resignation then it is checkmate and no mistake!!

Where did you get the 26 week penalty from? Are you in Ireland? This is an Irish site, so advice and information given is generally applicable to this country only.

People who leave work of their own accord may be disqualified from receiving Jobseeker's Benefit or Allowance for up to 9 weeks, depending on the circumstances. However no decision can be made until you make a claim. If you're unemployed, you should sign on as soon as the Local Office opens again (next Tuesday 30th Dec).

By not signing on since Sept last, you've lost potential PRSI credits as well as any payments, which may affect you in future years.

Back