joint tenants or tenants in common

Slim

Hi. Relations of mine are co-owners of a property with their parent who has passed away. Completing the Revenue SA form to commence the Administration process. Question on form is 'joint tenants or tenants in common'? How can we find out which it is? The solicitors who did the transfer(25 yrs ago) or can we find out online?

IANAL

From memory, I think its on the PRAI documents; you'll need a copy of them anyway & it only costs 40-ish euro I think.

Ok, I have tried to figure out the Property Registration Authority website. Searching the Registration online, it seems the house, although clearly shown on the map, is not registered. So, a search using Form 11 is required with a fee of €20. That would be no problem but I can't download the form without installing Adobe Reader but it's a free trial and I don't want to give my payment details and then perhaps default into a payment later. I have called the solicitors office and asked them to check their file but, in the meantime, I want to complete the SA form for Revenue. Does it matter if I put 'Tenants in Common' on the form but it later transpires that they are 'Joint Tenants'
TL;DR What difference does JT versus TIC make to the Revenue and their form?

IANAL

On the PDF form - are you sure you can't find a free / open source PDF reader that will work?

If you get something wrong on the SA form, you'll have to file a corrective affidavit & that will generate another delay.

Might as well do the research now & get it right.

from prai website -
  1. For a more permanent solution, enter the following address into your web browser address bar - chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments and slide the button to the right to download PDF files, instead of opening them in Chrome.
Chrome will now download PDFs automatically when you click them.

That'll be €200 consultancy fee ;)

from prai website -
  1. For a more permanent solution, enter the following address into your web browser address bar - chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments and slide the button to the right to download PDF files, instead of opening them in Chrome.
Chrome will now download PDFs automatically when you click them.

That'll be €200 consultancy fee ;)
Haha! Tried that, led me to the 1 month free trial again!

Haha! Tried that, led me to the 1 month free trial again!
Is this Adobe Acrobat you're looking at? Because basic Adobe Reader is a completely free program, always has been and still is.

Is this Adobe Acrobat you're looking at? Because basic Adobe Reader is a completely free program, always has been and still is.
Yes, I've downloaded the free Adobe reader but it is not 'up to date' enough for the Property Registration Authority.

Some one needs to call them out on this: there's no way you should be forced to sign up for a paid product to get access to a government supported process.

this is the message you get for any of their on line forms:

"To view the full contents of this document, you need a later version of the PDF viewer. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader from www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html For further support, go to www.adobe.com/support/products/acrreader.html"

Back