Joint Mortgage problems legal advice please?

J

Jointer

Sorry if this is in wrong forum...

I have a joint mortgage and need legal advice. I have paid all my monthly payments promptly and on time since moving in three years ago including my Man Co Fee.

Long story but need legal advice.... other party involved in this joint mortgage has not been paying on time everytime resulting in late fees from bank, letters of warning etc.

This has been happening for the last year I'd say.

I only found this out when I went off chance to the bank, I'd foolishly assumed we were both paying the same at the same time and the statements were not available to me. They were posted in other parties name to our address.

So I end up paying the late fees too out of joint account because of this. There were also a few small purchases made by the other party, personal shopping items but the money was from our joint account.

Now other party is threatening not to pay their half of monthly mortgage during personal arguments.

Where do i stand on this? i don't want to have a bad credit history because of this person? We both signed saying we agreed to pay half.

Thanks for any advice.

HI Jointer

If you buy a house jointly with someone else, you do expose yourself to all of their problems.

You are fully liable for the mortgage if he doesn't pay it.

Did you do an agreement before you bought the house? Does it allow for what happens if one partner doesn't pay his share of the house?

If your friend can't pay the mortgage, can he move out and you rent out his "share" of the house?

If all else fails, can you sell the house?

Brendan

Back