John DeLorean RIP

ClubMan

Just saw on RTE that John DeLorean has died at the age of 80 and it reminded me of the excellent [broken link removed] that I saw (re?)broadcast a while back about his early career, his factory in Belfast and the later shenanigans that brought things crashing down. Very interesting character/story. Up to recently there used to be a DeLorean car driving around the Dublin 7 area but I haven't seen it lately.

I still see one in Phibsborough the odd time, the car that is.
Some friends from Belfast are still adamant that he/the company was shafted because they built their factory on the wrong side of the city. I think that he was the chancer that he is made out to be. It seems that it was a case of pride coming before a fall etc.

DeLorian

Friend of mmine in Meath bought one with 5000 miles on it at a liquidation auction in the Uk for Stg 9000 .

Only problem is that he has to clean it with a brilo pad !!!!!

Re: DeLorian

Read a great book on DeLorean some years back. Large amounts of the UK grant money was redirect to a mysterious Swiss-registered company, for which the beneficial owners were never identified.

DeLorean

According to the Irish site www.delorean.ie there are c.50 DeLoreans in Ireland at present - 38 in the North and 15 in the Republic.

Great cars - gotta love em ! :)

Re: DeLorean

With the stock market & property at all time highs, might be time to invest in a DeLorean. These cars will be priceless in the future & "Back to the Future" ??!!

Back