Jobseekers holiday entitlements

S

skygem

I understand that I am allowed 2 weeks(12 working days) holiday while on jobseekers. I saw a holiday that I want to book that would mean I fly out on a wednesday and arrive back into the country exactly two weeks to the day. I am wondering if the day that I arrive back into the country is counted as a holiday day-that Wednesday is a 13th day. The reason for this timing is that the flights are long haul.Also, there will be a bank holiday when I hope to be away. Does this count as a working day for sw purposes, or is it regarded like a Sunday? Any info much appreciated (want to grab the cheapo deal while I can!)

You will be asked to present yourself at the SWLO on the day before holidays and the day after you return, so it may be that you could get in on the morning that you are actually going or on the day you actually return? This would keep you right for the two weeks. You have to apply in advance so the dates you put on the form will be taken as the holidays. Bank holidays are the sdame as a working day for SW purposes so you won't "save" a day there! In any case, all you'd lose is one day, by the sounds of it so not worth giving up a cheapo deal, I'd say!

Am going away next week (Mon-Sat) & due to sign on Wednesday. Assume I've an entitlement to get paid while I'm away? I've googled but can't find the web page that spells out my entitlement to benefit whilst on holidays. I can call the welfare office but would prefer to know the exact situation before doing so.

This any use?
(b) Absence from the State

A person shall be disqualified from receiving JB (including increases in respect of a Qualified Adult/dependents) while s/he is absent from the State.
There are two exceptions to this disqualification:

A person may receive JB for 2 weeks holidays (i.e. 12 days excluding Sundays) in any calendar year. These holidays may be taken abroad.

S/he is required to inform the Local Office 2 weeks in advance of his/her departure and to complete the form UP 30. All holiday payments should be made retrospectively, upon confirmation of the position when the person signs on again (on the next normal signing day after his/her return). If a person goes on holiday for longer than 2 weeks, s/he may be paid in respect of the first two weeks, but should be disqualified for any period abroad in excess of this.

The Qualified Adult (QA) of a person in receipt of JB may take up to 2 weeks foreign holiday. A disqualification in respect of the increase for a QA should be imposed in respect of any period in excess of 2 weeks. It is not necessary for a UP30 to be completed in respect of a QA.

The disqualification shall not apply in respect of any period during which a person is representing Ireland at an international sporting event in an amateur capacity. There is no limit on the amount of time that a person may spend abroad engaged in such sporting activities, but only periods of actual competition are covered. Training abroad is not covered, except in respect of final preparation and acclimatisation immediately preceding the competition.

An international event in this context means a competition such as the Olympics, Special Olympics, Para-Olympics, World or European competitions where the participants are formally representing their countries. The mere presence of athletes from various countries does not make it an international event.
Form UP30 must be completed 2 weeks in advance.

Thanks for that ClubMan - my googling actually got me to that page but it was so long I couldn't find the relevant piece of text!

Am going away next week (Mon-Sat) & due to sign on Wednesday.

You're supposed to apply 2 weeks in advance (they nedd notice to cancel computerised payments issuing) but if you explain position to them when you're signing and fill the form there and then, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Back