Jobseeker's Allowance question

F

florianvole

My girlfriend and I have been on Jobseeker's Allowance since July - me as her dependent. She recently got offered a paid place back to college, so I had to reapply as a sole applicant. It was all done and all I was waiting on was the inspector.
My girlfriend and I live together in a rented apartment in Dublin.
Last week my father died and I know he has left me his small house in Carlow as well as about 10 grand in the bank. My father was on disability allowance and that was his only income, but the 10 grand is his savings. It hasn't gone through the solicitors yet. Do I still qualify for Jobseekers Allowance? I don't plan on moving to Carlow or selling the house or renting it out, just keeping it for a while with his things in it. Luckily the mortgage on it is only 15,000 euro.
Does anyone know if i would qualify for a bereavement grant to pay for the funeral? it cost me around 4,000 euro.

Commiserations on the loss of your father. Bereavement Grant is based on the deceased person's insurance record.

Regarding your pending claim for JA, as your inheritance is not official yet and you have no access to it, it will not affect your current claim. when it is all settled and sorted, you should tell SW of your change in circumstances and they will review your means. If you keep the house, it will be assessed on its capital value (as if you had the value of it in cash).

Back