jobseeker benefit.

T

t21

Hi,

I just lost my job. My employer fired around 50 people coz the business is down at the moment in Hospitality Industry.
I never claimed for a benefit and i don't really know what to do. I do have rent to pay and need to eat ...
Tomorrow I'm going to go to social welfare office to find out about everything but my question is how long does it take till I get first money from the benefit?
Because if it is a week/weeks period i don't know if there is a point to claim coz I already got few calls back from employers looking forward to see me for interview ...

I would suggest you go to your local SW office to morrow morning and sign on for jobseekers benefit. Bring P45, passport,and PPS. No. If you haven't yet got P45 sign on anyhow (you have 21 days to produce it)

Hopefully some of your interviews will be successful and you can sign off on the last day before returning to work.

Your benefit will take a couple of weeks to process and if you are stuck in the meantime go to the CWO (Community Welfare Officer) for Supplementary Welfare and rent supplement

Regardless of whether you think you might get another job you should go and sign on. It may be a few weeks before you get something suitable, or until a job is vacant. Why should you lose out on what your entitled to. I have never had to sign on or claim benefits but would not be hesitant in doing so if I needed. It can take a few weeks for payments to come through.
Good luck.

Back