Jobs in Universities - what does salary scale mean?

B

Buzz55

Hi all,

This might be a stupid question, but I just can't figure it out myself. I've seen a job advertised which has the following in it:

Salary, depending on experience, will be within the range:
€19,358 x 7 = €24,688/Bar/€24,753 x 6 = €31,314 p.a.

what does this mean? What is your annual salary?

Thanks.

I presume "x7" and "x6" mean the number of annual/long service increments from the lower figure to the higher. Not sure what "bar" means though.

So you think that the lower figure is the starting figure?

Depending on experience as the ad says. My feeling is that it's impossible to say what the starting salary might be for a particular individual (other than being between the min and max specified) without further investigation.

Hi Buzz,

In addition to salary scales (which are a public service thing) the Universities have a thing called "above the bar" and "below the bar". Im not certain but I think there are different terms and conditions accruing to the both. Try a google search with the following (NUI, "salary scale" and bar) and you should get some hits explaining it better.

€19,358 x 7 = €24,688/Bar/€24,753 x 6 = €31,314 p.a.

I assume this means 7 equal annual increments from €19,358 to €24,688
then you step above the bar to €24,753 with 6 equal annual increments to €31,314

Depending on your experience I think you can step in at any point along the scale and then continue to the top of the scale.

I hope this makes sense to you.

ajapale

I think the University comrades did a deal with the Govt several years ago whereby they got a big pay rise while their comrades employed after that got smaller salaries. Maybe this is what above/below the bar means?

Basically above or below the bar depends on a number of things:

If you have experience, appropriate qualifications, publications etc, you may get appointed above the bar - ie the second scale,

If you get appointed below the bar and reach the top of the scale you will not necesarily get moved on the the next scale, if you have the above atributes gained whilst below the bar it helps.

Generally people with other university experience get above the bar - even if it means an inital pay cut being above the bar means more in the long run.

Newbies generally get under the bar.
The *7 just means number of increments.

Is there a spell check on this new system??

Unregistered said:
Is there a spell check on this new system??

Not by default although it . And, as that link suggests, there are plenty of browser side spell checker plug-ins/extensions available which would obviate the need for putting additional processing load on the vBulletin server. I'll put it on our TODO list in the Moderators' Forum but it'll be low priority until other more pressing issues are sorted first.

Re: Jobs in Universities

thanks for all the info guys. Have to admit to being a bit disappointed that the starting salary of the scale is really quite low. Actually, even the higher end of the salary is not huge either. Its for an administration job which seems to involve a lot. I'm currently an admin for an IT company and earn 25k....
I suppose you take the hit for slightly less hours and a few extra days holidays. Still seems low though...

Hi Buzz,

If you ring the HR department of the university Im sure they will be able to explain everything. I think that the "bar" only applies to lecturers.

ajapale

thanks for the info on the spell check.

Ya, AFAIK having worked in the area for a few years the bar applies to lecturing staff only.
Some (of us) have never forgiven the unions!!

Back