jobs for physics grads

P

phys grad

Im just wondering what other people think. I have a good honours physics degree and I am finding it impossible to get work in Ireland. I hear Mary Harney going on about needing a more scientifically educated workforce to work in the knowledge economy. I think this is just jargon talk that she has picked up from an American Multinational and I dont believe it for one second. Most of the multinationals in my experience by and large require people with certificates and diplomas from the regional colleges. This is because most of the work is shift based manufacturing and they think that University Graduates are over qualified for this work and Ive been told this by recruitment agencies. There is also no point in gaining a postgraduate scientific qualification if you want to work in Ireland. There are hardly any openings for these in Ireland and most end up emigrating.
So why does the government continue to propagate the myth that the future is so rosy for science graduates in Ireland. Science Foundation Ireland is weighted towards the Biotech and Pharmaceutical industries with Physics being the odd man out gaining very little research funding. Its seems that the multinationals are dictating terms to the government rather than the other way round.They seem to be adopting a George Bush policy of repeating the same jargon over and over in the hope that people will think its true.

I'm being creative here....

There is an article in today's Irish Times that says Ireland is the world's HQ for Hedge Funds administration. Back in the 80's, the London Stock Market loved people with numerate degrees. Maybe you could look in the IFSC for a job?

My current job involves dealing with a lot of logistics companies. I'd bet they need people to write models to get their lorries etc from A to B in the most efficient way. And since you know all about relativity..... (sorry, bad attempt at joke).

Sluice

Instrument/Calibration Engineer

I am a Physics Grad got an Msc it was about 6 years since I left college and I found it relatively easy to get a job. I suppose your physics degree is Physics and Maths, not so many companies looking for that.
Try doing a city and guilds course in Instrumentation and you will have to beat off employers with a stick.

re gav

Thanks Gav for responding. Yes you are right it was physics and maths. I dont know of any postgraduate instrumentation courses in Ireland. The Cork Institute of Technology do a course on Physics and Instrumentation but only to graduate level, they dont do a postgraduate course. I could not find any info on a city and guilds course in instrumentation are you sure it exists.

phys

I don't buy it that Physics and Maths is not highly employable.
What year, location and distinction was your degree? Where have you been looking?

Back