Job terminated for theft

well he met them and they asked him about the incident.they gave him the option of being fired or to resign.he resigned.hopefully that will make it easier to move on and to sign on and talk to mortgage people for the moment.they didnt have a solicitor either.he agreed to pay back the full amount.hopefully when he does the guards will not go further.please god they wont.he has to live with the shame of it now and has to lie to friends and family that he was just laid off.thanks everyone for the advice.i hope it wont go further once he pays it off as soon as possible.

Just a thought legoman..........when he goes to sign on... if he has resigned he may not get paid for 9 weeks. I know it's the last thing he needs to hear right now. Just thought I might mention it as he may need to consider how he will explain his situation to Social Welfare. He can go to the HSE I think and they will help him until his Social Welfare payments start.

if he says he was laid off how would they know he resigned...not being smart but how do they check it?is it the same for mortgage protection?

The SW will send a form to his employer, asking them.

It won't make a difference to his unemployment claim weather he resigns or is fired for gross misconduct, in both cases he is considered to have lost his job through his own actions.

All he can do is try to explain as best he can, and hope they don't apply the full disqualification period.

i suppose the mortgage protection is the biggest worry of all

if he says he was laid off how would they know he resigned...not being smart but how do they check it?is it the same for mortgage protection?

Yes Legoman as Berni said...Social Welfare will check it. He should go in straight away and make a claim for Jobseekers Benefit. It will only be consider from the day he makes the claim. It's best if he is straight with them....if they hold back the payments he can go to the community welfare office and explain his predicament. On the mortgage insurance....if he requests the application form to make a claim....he will know better what the conditions are. If the mortgage insurance does not come through for him....he may qualify for Mortgage Interest Supplement.
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/unemployed.aspx

afaik if you resign or get fired payment protection will be refused....will bank check with old employers too???

He really should have had a solicitor from the moment he was arrested.
I would not let him speak to anyone else without a solicitor being present.
The man stole money to pay his bills. How is he going to pay a solicitor few 100s an hour?

Hi all
Well he is going to pay back what he owes tomorrow to his work.Anyone shed light on the situation of he was not paid for his last weeks work or the week in hand worked?i thought no way will he get that but he said his wife wants him to ask about it?should he?

I reckon they will pay him what he is owed, they shouldn't be a problem there at all.

Under the Payment of Wages Act, the company must pay him any salary that is outstanding and also any holidays that have been worked up. They legally cannot hold any payment from him, especially under the conditions of his resignation.

He could cite extreme circumstances, and as he is paying back what is owed. Just out of curiousty did they have a proper investigation or was there CCTV evidence etc?

Proper investigation with the guards.he paid back today and he said they were pleasant through it all even saying a man should not be painted badly over 1 mistake in life.they said he could put them down for a ref but they would have to honestly answer any questions they got so its a big decision to put them down or not.they are going to pay him a weeks wages.the hols start from march so i think the day off for good friday would have used that up.i just hope since he has paid back and they do seem happy with that,that it will not mean a sentence from a court.That is what he is petrified of as it will practically kill any chance of a job even more so in these difficult times.I m glad they,in a way,are looking at it as he made a mistake and has paid back plus losing job,house and possibly family is enough punishment and without saying it,that everyone deserves a second chance.

Back