Job Offer & Resigning

Sparky1972

Hi All,
Just looking for some insight.
Have received a job offer from a very large multinational. The offer has been made over the phone and a follow up email stating that I am the successful candidate, starting salary, starting date and advising contract will follow. I would need to hand in my resignation now to fulfil my notice period. The HR recruiter tells me that the email offer is legally binding and I can go ahead and hand in my resignation as the contract can take some days based on priority etc.
What do people think??

I think I’d wait until you see the contract. Nothing is binding until it’s binding and my experience of recruitment companies is that month end sales targets means that they are likely to tell you anything to get the “sale”

On another note, Large multinationals are used to people needing flexibility around changing jobs and notice periods, if you are the ideal person they will wait a few days for you to start unless you are the captain of a ship that needs to leave port by a certain date it will be fine

You will want to see the offer in writing. There might be something in it that you don't like e.g. a non-compete clause.

If you have handed in your notice already, there is no going back.

When you get the offer and are happy with it, you can hand in your notice.

Agree with The Big40 , they will wait for you. A few days won't matter especially if the delay is at their end.

You can tell them that you accept the offer subject to seeing the contract. That will give them an impetus to get the contract out to you.

Brendan

Bear in mind also that a notice period has no legal status.

It’s manners of course to share your future work plans with your current employer but if you phoned in tomorrow to say you weren’t coming in anymore, there’s very little they could do to force you to do otherwise.

A drastic step perhaps but it reinforces the point that you don’t have to hand in your notice just because you’ve received a verbal offer.

Bear in mind also that a notice period has no legal status.

It’s manners of course to share your future work plans with your current employer but if you phoned in tomorrow to say you weren’t coming in anymore, there’s very little they could do to force you to do otherwise.

A drastic step perhaps but it reinforces the point that you don’t have to hand in your notice just because you’ve received a verbal offer.

That is not correct. The statutory minimum notice period in Ireland (after 13 weeks employment) is one week, and of course longer notice period can be in your contract.

The employer can raise legal action if you just “walk out”. If you don’t work your notice period, you can be sued for breach of contract.
It will depend on the company, job and position of course if this is likely to happen.

It’s manners of course to share your future work plans with your current employer

It is much more than good manners.

If I offered you a job and you said "I can start immediately because although I have a 4 week notice period in my contract, they can't do anything about it.", I would withdraw the job offer. You would probably do the same to me. It would also tell me that you are not a very nice person.

And from a practical point of view, you will rely on your past employers for references.

And, in many cases, people actually return to former employers after getting experience elsewhere.

Brendan

Back