Issue with BOI

L

legend99

Ok,
We sold our last house Dec 03. As a consequence I cancelled over the phone the Mortgage Insurance policy. I have a letter from BOI Insurance Services dated Dec 3 which states:

"I confirm that your direct debit instalment plan in respect of the above policy has been cancelled at your request."

Now, I was checking my online banking the other day and re and behold the payment to this account started back up at the end of March. I.E. It has paid out in March, April and May. I naturally rang up to demand to know what the hell was going on last Friday. I was chucked from pillar to post ot be eventually told that it seemed that when the policy was due for renewal (March) that it seemed that someone started back up the payments. I was obviously none too leased but at 4.30pm on a Friday one tends to not care so much. I was advised to email or fax details....again, I didn't bother arguing that it was their mess to sort out.

Monday morning...angry head on me, I sent off a pretty angry email demanding an explanation to what happened, my money back and the charges that the unauthorised direct debits had cost me. Needless to say, not a dicky bird since. Now, having a letter confirming a direct debit was cancelled what rights do I have after it started back up without my signature....?

Just to update ye all. I had sent in that email last Monday(21st June). Not a word back.
So I rang up today and lifted some girl out of it. It seems it will take 10 days for them to issue me a refund cheque. When I demanded to know what had happened it seems she didn't have a rashers. She asked me to send in a copy of the letter I had quoted from above.
So I am. And I am going to blow someone out of it again on the phone unless someone tells me how a cancelled direct debit was started back up.

So I am going to write to the complaints deptartment within the Insurance Services of BOI. If they don't satisfy me with an explanation then I am going to report it to the Ombudsman...screw that like.

A colleague of mine had a "financial review" with BOI recently and had his mortgage transferred from their standard variable rate to their much more competitive tracker rate. In the process of doing this and reviewing a few other things it came to light that he had been mistakenly (hmmmm..) overcharged for motor loan repayment protection on another loan that he used to have and they issued a refund of a few hundred € to him. I think it was a case of the form being pre-filled to select loan repayment protection even though he didn't want it. Funny how these "mistakes" always seem to work in favour of the financial institution... :|

It gets better....been on the phone to them just now. They had in fact issued a cheque on June 21. Nice of the girl I rang on June 28 to tell me that. But of course they sent that to the house that the mortgage used be for. The house that we sold which was why we cancelled the policy.
Good work lads for checking that with me....

I again demanded to know how they processed a cancelled a direct debit without a new mandate signed by me. Again, the guy couldn't tell me. So I got round just now to writing the angry letter.....which will be on its way up in the next post...
I'll keep ye updated....I'm sure you're all rivted by it!

Back