iseq etf

While i have gained on udg,glanbia & kerry ,I have lost on independent news,aib.c&c & now aryzta and end of day might be lucky to break even on shares after over 10 years . Glanbia has being my star picked up at €2.35 but at 15k down on aib .Imo holding shares long term is only a fools game ,get in low and make 10% and sell ,rinse and repeat .The reason i have picked iseq etf is because i know every company and i do not think they are over valued at moment but at same time you could not trust any of them individually and any soft brexit agreement could only be positive!!

Sorry but the reality is that you have been investing in micro caps, concentrated in a small region of Euroland. What else would you expect but to take a hit? And now you want to repeat the experience by moving to a fund of the same nature.....

The basic advice to small investors is to build a portfolio heavily weighted towards large caps not micro caps. Fail to follow the basic rules of thumb and you should not be surprised of the outcome.

The time to invest in US stocks was over 5 or 6 years ago for europeans, then you were buying them with cheap dollars, remember the exchange rate went to $1.5 to the euro back in 2012. This was also a reason for the under performance of european markets back then, the euro was way over valued and this was a headwind for european equities. Now the opposite is the case you only get $1.13 to the euro and the US markets are way more expensive than europe now.

U. S markets are always more expensive than European ones for many reasons including the much more corporate friendly culture of America, the weak euro has done precious little for European equities, we are about 11% below April 2015 all time highs on the euro stoxx 600, Outlook in Europe is weak where as America is booming.

Not saying the U. S market is going higher as its not cheap on PE basis but even it drops sharply, Europe will follow it down , Europe follows.

Earnings season in Europe has been poor, its been much better in U. S.

Last edited:
America America America America America America America America America America

Jeez. Take a day off.

Risk and return are related. As Jim said, you will mainly be investing in small and micro size companies. Higher expected return but also higher risk. It wasn't that long ago that some of the biggest companies that would have been in the ISEQ were in effect insolvent.

It's just as easy to buy a European or Global ETF that provides access to large cap companies that sell all over the world.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

i think todays trading on the markets showed what you are saying about the iseq explicitedly, the iseq dropped over 4% on worries over a no deal brexit whereas the ftse stayed largely unchanged ( on the surface you would imagine the ftse would be more affected by brexit than the iseq). However the ftse has many large cap multinationals that earn revenue worldwide whereas the iseq is highly dependant on the british market and the euro/pound exchange rate.

The time to invest in US stocks was over 5 or 6 years ago for europeans, then you were buying them with cheap dollars, remember the exchange rate went to $1.5 to the euro back in 2012. This was also a reason for the under performance of european markets back then, the euro was way over valued and this was a headwind for european equities. Now the opposite is the case you only get $1.13 to the euro and the US markets are way more expensive than europe now.

Yes that is true, it is also true that as the dollar stregthens capital from the bond market will rush to us equities, Draghi has destroyed the euro bond market and when rates rise smart capital will see a possible default maybe in Italy start a contagion and head out to the US, the last safe haven, watch when rates start to rise in the euro area

U. S markets are always more expensive than European ones for many reasons including the much more corporate friendly culture of America, the weak euro has done precious little for European equities, we are about 11% below April 2015 all time highs on the euro stoxx 600, Outlook in Europe is weak where as America is booming.

I see the eurostoxx 600 is down 10% from its yearly high and thats after a moribond decade for european investors. Is this the time when many amateur investors make the big mistakes and jump into the highly priced US market just at the time when the dollar is also near its highs. Therefore they get hit on the double when the inevitable reversal happens

Iseq etf nearing 3 year low but how much lower can it sink ,has hard brexit been factored in fully to the drop in shares ,the 3 year low point was after the brexit referendum so we are back to that point again .Where will it go from here can iseq etf regain its losses or are we on the brink of another recession

Iseq etf nearing 3 year low but how much lower can it sink ,has hard brexit been factored in fully to the drop in shares ,the 3 year low point was after the brexit referendum so we are back to that point again .Where will it go from here can iseq etf regain its losses or are we on the brink of another recession

Equity markets are often in bear markets while the real economy is fine.

Who cares? It should not be of interest to the majority of investors.

Back