Is wealth inequality destroying town and villages by forcing workers into city slums?

theObserver

Interesting video:

Summary: wealth inequality is destroying small villages and towns by forcing people into modern slums around wealthy city center areas because people "need to move where the rich are for employment'.

I like Gary in general but he comes out with some wild stuff as he tries to simplify economics for the lay man. I think in that article he was saying that it was necessary to have workers doing menial work for the ultra rich, but I don't think that's the only reason there is a lot of impoverishment in cities or the collapse of town centres. He suggests that unequal but developed societies drift towards urban centres for work. However, its kind of hard to compare London with the slums of Bogota, not least because western countries don't have undeveloped & accessible urban land to become informal slums. It's not one of his better videos & refers more to developing countries.

It's also what has been said since about 1860.

There's quite an agenda in that video! He could quite as easily said that people go to the big cities because that is where the work is...something that has been true for hundreds of years. He is using the assumption that all employers are rich and all employees are poor. It is quite the Dickensian take.

No mention either of a big reason for the decay of towns is globalisation. British steel can't be made as cheaply as steel in other countries. Same with lots of other commodities and in other factories. These businesses have not been replaced and the towns have rotted. He also neglected to say that while these towns were full of employment, there was a small handful of people who owned most of the businesses in these towns.

The decline of Towns in Northern England has as much to do with the end of Empire and the end of the exploitative trade and industrial system that was built up during the era of the West African slave trade and American cotton plantations.