Is there such a thing as Spider repellent?

galleryman

My better half and my kids hate spiders, they are phobic. We have lots of bloody spiders in and around oru house and it's becoming a problem.

Is there any secret to keeping them at bay OR is there a powder or spray that I could use?

Thanks

I have heard that spiders don't like the smell of citronella, and one recommendation was to dilute citronella oil in water and spray it on areas that seem to attract the most spiders. I haven't tried this myself, so I can't tell you how effective it might be. But if nothing else, your house will smell lemony-fresh :p

Arachnids are an essential part of the living world, more numerous than any other form of life. You can't 'eliminate' them and there is no reason why you should. You and your children would probably then simply become 'phobic' about something else - birds or cats or..........other people. Best to address the phobia. As has been suggested, there are methods and programmes of de-sensitisation. As your General Practitioner to refer you a clinical psychologist who will work with you and your children so you overcome your fear of harmless fellow-creatures.

Perhaps this would help in the meantime ?

[broken link removed]

thanks for the replies.

I'll park the therapy suggestion for now thanks. My wife and kids simply hate spiders, not other bugs, insects animals or people.

My wife simply wants to be able to open the press under the sink without being met by a spider.

I'll try some of the suggestions and let you know if any work.

Thanks

I'm with Galleryman on this. I cannot bear spiders. Small one's I can deal with it, but in our house and garden we are regularly met by absolutely massive black spiders. No joking, they are huge, I swear they work-out! If I just had a way of keeping these guys at bay, I'd be happy.

Perhaps this would help in the meantime ?

[broken link removed]

What do you do with the little beasties once you catch them. If you put them outside, won;t they just come back in?

I wonder is it seasonal? There seem to be loads of them around at the moment. Is it because it's starting to get cooler at night?

Hi,

I got some spider repellant in Homestore & More. It is in a spray bottle and the two main ingredients are clove oil and chestnut oil. Spray it around doorways, windows etc. (or any other likely spots where spiders can enter your home). Seems to work well. Smells like sweets. Apparently the spiders don't like the smell, so it deters them without harming them.

teddyk.

Have you seen how fast the big ones can go?
In my experience spiders seem to run out of steam very quickly. When you initially try to corner those big black house spiders they dart around the place but they soon seem to get knackered and you can easily pick them up (on a piece of cardboard/paper or in a jar or whatever if you don't like touching them) and dispose of them outside. Maybe they'll die of exposure outside but not killing them directly makes some of us feel better! :)

You could try a household 'flea' spray such as this one:
[broken link removed]
If you read the small print it also kills 'other' insects and protects for a few months.

Citronella is not far off the mark. A friend of mine has a boat on the river and was overrun with spiders. Lemon is the answer. Last winter he cleaned the whole boat with a lemon scented cleaner, placed a couple of lemon air freshners under seats etc and last spring came back to a virtually spider free enviorment.

It has also been said that spiders will not go near chestnuts and as it is that time of the year, why not collect a load of them, put them in a small string bag (the ones that come with the washing tables) and place them under the kitchen sink.

Back