Is there light in the dense fog of Pension Confusion? - How to become tax efficient

Morgan 2.0

I've visited pensionsboard.ie etc, read their stuff, but to be honest I'm not finding the information I'm looking for at all. It's there I think, but it's buried pretty well from me!

There is so much bloody minded jargon, so I thought I'd come here and ask in case any of you were in the same situation.

I'm sorry if this repeats stuff already on the forum, but I looked through it and couldn't find what I'm looking for.

What I want:

To have the flexibility to invest in small value indices on a purely buy & hold basis for between three and four decades. (I'm 21) I've found that if I buy small value ETFs that I pay far lower fees (a transaction fee, and then just 0.4% per year, which is ok for Ireland but still ****e compared to other jurisdictions)

Anyway I'm trying to make this as tax efficient as possible. I believe a 23% gross rollup tax applies to what the revenue calls "collective investment schemes" or what I call stock funds/ETFs, so I'm trying to avoid being hammered by this 23% when I come to collect the moolah. I'm aware there is there an 8 year tax collection thing the revenue have going on, but I'm not excatly clear on how it works. Anyway, I want to avoid that too!

Is there a way to use the pension schemes available to allow you to make your own investment choices? As a buy & hold investor, I'm quite happy to sign documents to prevent me from withdrawing from my portfolio until a certain age. If this there is way to do this, then do you know how it works?

Thanks! It would be great relief if you could help me, I like my eggs lined up neatly in the respective rows and this thing is getting to me. :)

Re: Is there light in the dense fog of Pension Confusion? - How to become tax efficie

Before anybody asks, I'm not a company director! So SSAPs probably don't work for me.

Re: Is there light in the dense fog of Pension Confusion? - How to become tax efficie

You don't have to be a company director to have a SSAP. If you are an employee you could ask your employer to sponsor the SSAP.

If you are self employed, you can set up a self directed pension and invest in indicies. See other posts on this site for discussion on costs etc of SSAS's and other advantages / disadvantages.

Back