Is there anything I can do about vehicle parked outside my house?

Wonderwoman

I live on a main road in a large enough town. On the 17th of December at about 11.45pm, someone parked a VW Transporter van outside my house (well half my house, half my neighbours). Parking is limited to one car outside each house(terraced), so this has prevented me from parking outside my house without having the knock on effect of taking space off my neighbour.I know this is a public road and the space in front of my house isnt reserved for my exclusicve use but this van hasn't moved once since, no one has come back at all. It isnt taxed but is insured. I went to the guards to see if there was anything they could do but all they can do is look up the owner and see if they can contact them through directory enquiries and ask them to move it. They said the only other thing they can do is call out and give it a ticket! It really is irritating the hell out of me at this stage. I often now have to cross the busy road in the morning with the kids. Getting shopping in is a pain etc etc I could go on! But apart from annoying me, which I do understand isn't illegal ;) Is there some way I can get it move/impounded/something?? Is there any onus on the local council when it comes to abandoned vehicles? the owner is apparently from another town about an hour away. Any suggestions?

Just to update... rang the council, environment department last Friday. They were out yesterday and put a notice on the van and have sent notification to the registered owner. The van will be removed in 7 days under the Waste Management Act, section to do with the abadonment of vehicles on public roads, if the owner doesnt move it before then.

Back