Is the property price register being used?

sometimes the properties are listed as gaeilge also - found that out when curious about a house that sold on my road, and only found it by using the number of the house and the Dublin area code.

How does this work? If you think about it, practically, you pay stamp duty to your solicitor and thats the end of it from the buyers perspective.

What system is it automatically updated from and to? From Revenue to the PPR? How do you know this happens.

If this is in fact what happens then I wouldnt have much confidence in this automated data flow happening on a complete and accurate basis. And susprise surprise the register is missing rakes of stuff.
If you know of errors, then you can bring them to the PRSA as indicated on their website

ERRORS​

The Authority acknowledges that there may be errors in the data in the Register. The Register is compiled from data which is filed, for stamp duty purposes, with the Revenue Commissioners. The data is primarily filed electronically by persons doing the conveyancing of the property on behalf of the purchaser and errors may occur when the data is being filed.

The PSRA does not in any way edit the data. It simply publishes, in a fully transparent manner, the data from the declarations which are filed with the Revenue Commissioners. If the data filed contained typographical errors then those errors will appear on the Register.

In order to correct typographical errors or errors in prices that may appear on the Register, the owner of the property in question, should request that the person who filed the stamp duty return on their behalf, submit an amended stamp duty return, with the correct details, to the Revenue Commissioners.

Where errors other than the above are reported to the Authority, they will be brought to the attention of the Revenue Commissioners. If you notice any apparent errors in the data please let us know by emailing [email protected].

If you know of errors, then you can bring them to the PRSA as indicated on their website
But hang on the point i am making is its not a legal or compliance obligation to include a house sale on the ppr, as far as im aware but am open to correction.if this is the case then is it any wonder that people are questioning the completeness and accuracy of the register and stuff "mysteriously" not appearing. Of course stuff isnt there, laziness and lack of system integration are probably the reason why

The register is not perfect, far from it, The major flaw is that the address used is the address used in the stamp duty return with no eircode matching, so there are loads of vague and incorrect addresses which make it difficult to search, This has been pointed out a number of times in this thread already.

It is based on stamp duty returns,. It is a legal obligation to make a stamp duty return when a house is sold. Can you stand over your claim that "racks" of houses are not on the register because of laziness.

There may be gaps but there is no evidence that this is widespread.

Just to follow up with some more clarity. Mine is a one off, second hand house - I can see lots of other houses in the locality on the listing and on the map but not mine.. I would be very confident that mine is not on the register, for what ever reason, I am not sure.

The major flaw is that the address used is the address used in the stamp duty return with no eircode matching,
That's because you are purchasing a land parcel.

An eircode is a database of delivery points.

Sometimes multiple apartments are sold as one transaction but there will be many eircodes.

If you think your property is not listed search all properties in the county for the four weeks in and around when you got the keys to the house and you will almost certainly find it with a spelling or transcription error.

Occam's razor usually applies. Sloppy transcription is far more likely than Revenue failing to process a stamp duty return.

But hang on the point i am making is its not a legal or compliance obligation to include a house sale on the ppr, as far as im aware but am open to correction.
Already corrected, there is a legal obligation to pay stamp duty, and the event of registering that payment sees Revenue inserting the record in the PPR.

Already corrected, there is a legal obligation to pay stamp duty, and the event of registering that payment sees Revenue inserting the record in the PPR.
Not to be pedantic Leo but these are two seperate things albeit somewhat linked.

Yes of course theres a legal obligation to pay all taxes, including stamp duty. Youre breaking the law if you dont pay stamp duty but youre not breaking the law if house sale isnt on ppr.

My observation is that it is not a legal obligation that house sales be included on the ppr. They may do and it may be linked to payment of stamp duty. Its not, though, a legal obligation. If it was a legal obligation - who bear the obligation?

So im sorry but you are incorrect in saying that i have already being corrected. The fact very much remains that it is not a legal obligation that house sales be included on the ppr. To be frank, its a bit laughable that you or anyone is attempting to claim that it is! Think about it man.

Last edited:
Where did I claim there was a legal obligation

I said it wasnt a legal obligation but was open to correction.
But hang on the point i am making is its not a legal or compliance obligation to include a house sale on the ppr, as far as im aware but am open to correction

You then said i was corrected, suggesting there was a legal obligation.

Again my point is simply that there is not a legal obligation on anyone to register a property transaction on the ppr. I think this would explain, to at least some extent, why not all properties are registered.

The fact that paying stamp duty is a pre cursor to a sale getting registered simply outlines the sequence of how it should work.

I thought there was a legal requirement for a solicitor to register the sale of a property?
Maybe a solictor on this forum can confirm but my understand is that there is no legal requirement on anyone to register a property sale on the register which to my mind would go some way in explaining why oft times property sales are not registered.

Again my point is simply that there is not a legal obligation on anyone to register a property transaction on the ppr.
So as you'll see at no point did I claim there was a legal obligation on any individual to register a transaction.
Maybe a solictor on this forum can confirm but my understand is that there is no legal requirement on anyone to register a property sale on the register which to my mind would go some way in explaining why oft times property sales are not registered.
Haven't we done this to death at this stage? There is no legal obligation on any individual to explicitly register a sale on the register. There simply is no need for such legislation when the Revenue are already submitting all covered sales to the register.

Introducing an obligation on solicitors to do this instead would significantly increase the complexity of the process for no gain. The register would need to be opened up so that any solicitor could submit transactions. That would significantly add to the complexity of the system and the associated costs of the system. Guess who would pay for that?

Does this help:
From the Residential Property Price Register

"The Register is compiled from data which is filed, for stamp duty purposes, with the Revenue Commissioners. The data is primarily filed electronically by persons doing the conveyancing of the property on behalf of the purchaser and errors may occur when the data is being filed.

The PSRA does not in any way edit the data. It simply publishes, in a fully transparent manner, the data from the declarations which are filed with the Revenue Commissioners. If the data filed contained typographical errors then those errors will appear on the Register."

mf

Q. and pardon the ignorance if the answer is an ovbious one.... but , when multiple properties (circa list of 20 or 30) appear with a property, as "other properties in this sale" , on the Property Price Register, what does this denote .... ? The eg. I am referring to, is not multiple properties in a new or same development, but scattered all over the county. Just an observation I do not understand.... presumably some sort of fund ? These properties seem to be quite over valued also ?? Just wondering if anyone could clarify possible scenarios for this...

Q. and pardon the ignorance if the answer is an ovbious one.... but , when multiple properties (circa list of 20 or 30) appear with a property, as "other properties in this sale" , on the Property Price Register, what does this denote .... ? The eg. I am referring to, is not multiple properties in a new or same development, but scattered all over the county. Just an observation I do not understand.... presumably some sort of fund ? These properties seem to be quite over valued also ?? Just wondering if anyone could clarify possible scenarios for this...
It could be any single stamp duty filing that includes more than 1 property. An inheritance of a property portfolio, incorporation of an existing portfolio, transferring ownership between 2 companies, etc.

An inheritance of a property portfolio, incorporation of an existing portfolio, transferring ownership between 2 companies, etc.
Is there any rule against these being in different locations?

When I'd come across these before it tended to be a whole apartment block or multiple units within same.

Is there any rule against these being in different locations?

When I'd come across these before it tended to be a whole apartment block or multiple units within same.
No. The PPR is based on the stamp duty filing, which allows for the input of individual folios / addresses, but there is a limit on the total number on a single filing. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Typically bulk purchases would be in a single block, but that's not the only possibility that can arise.

Back