Is the AIB holding on to deceased person's monies unduly?

Kimmagegirl

Probate was sent to the AIB in respect of a relative's death the first week of June last. This relative had a current account and a deposit account with the AIB. Three months on and we still have not received any of the funds despite the proper documentation being sent to them. emails to [email protected] are not being answered and phone calls to the department that deals with deceased accounts will only give you outline information quoting Data Protection reasons. Is there a policy in the AIB to hold on to the funds of a deceased person for as long as possible? Anyone else any similar stories?

"Is there a policy in the AIB to hold on to the funds of a deceased person for as long as possible? "

No, that's a conspiracy theory. More likely, they are just under pressure.

Who is "we?" They will only deal with an authorised person. Is there an authorised person? The executor, if there is one, should write a letter confirming the position, saying that they are concerned and ask for an update and a time frame to complete.

mf

To speed the process up, the Executor can also make an appointment with the Manager of the Bank Branch where the accounts are held and advise him/her of the reason for the visit so that they have the necessary paperwork in order.

I did this and had to bring photo ID and sign an indemnity form for the release of the funds, which were transferred within days.

I have also contacted the same email address at AIB and I have received no reply. Is there an email address for the complaints department at AIB to see if I have any luck there.

Our family are also waiting on the AIB to release funds to us.

I have also contacted the same email address at AIB and I have received no reply. Is there an email address for the complaints department at AIB to see if I have any luck there.

Our family are also waiting on the AIB to release funds to us.
Bronco;
Complaints dept are normally a waste of time on most issues. In particular on releasing (deceased) funds.
The quickest way may be to call to AIB , explain your case and then make an appointment with whoever in AIB has the knowledge to walk you through their requirements.
Armed with their list you can then proceed.

I know you should not have to do this , but you will get a (live) official working with you.

Send a 21 day letter to Chief Executive.

Refer to breaches of Consumer Protection Code - list them.

Register the letter.

Be polite.

Send a 21 day letter to Chief Executive.

Refer to breaches of Consumer Protection Code - list them.

Register the letter.

Be polite.
Wizard ;
I fully understand your advice and it has a lot of merit;

But still think for now a (friendly) ask help from (nice) Aib person , maybe the best option.
At worst you will have carried out AIBs wishes.
And if AIB are wrong/incompetent , your plan may well be needed.

I would be concerned that Letters to Chief Exec will result in much huffing/puffing; most customers have little knowledge of Consumer Codes.

It is also irritating that ;nearly every day ,I see threads about Mr Bank not being helpful and not having the competencies to do Mr Banks job!
It is also irritating to advise people to adopt a (gentle) approach when they should not have to .
The only reason I advise gentle approach, is it seems to get the fastest result?

Gerry
I don't disagree.

Just that AIB these days have systems, and processs that largely do not get changed when errors occur. People that work there don't really care anymore.

That's based on a number of cases where the only thing that brings matters to an eventual conclusion is credible threats.

However, diplomacy has its place.

Wizard;

Maddening isn,t it .
Not in my nature to be diplomatic ! but needs must.
I think customers still view Banks as competent , knowledgeable and helpful.

Am I correct in assuming that nowadays funds in a deceased account are released centrally rather than by the office where the funds are held?

Back