Is postponement of State Pension Age inevitable

In the US most Workers only have a few days holidays ,
No point talking about the USA we are in the EU what is happening in the EU that counts,
Yes I have seen workers in Manufacturing in USA well into there seventies but the culture not the same in Ireland in the work place
Over there as you get older you will be moved into areas suitable for your age,
I posted already on the dog in the manger culture in Ireland,
I posted about a company wanting to retain skill and the culture around why is he/she is being treated better than me,
How many on hear want to remove all tax breaks so they will have to work into there seventies,like the USA,

And even in the relatively more open to older workers US environment, you still have 80% of 70 year olds NOT working at all, based on those stats.

Indeed. The cultural gap between the USA (largely populated by Europeans) and the old continent makes all comparisons impossible.
no point ask yourself the question will I agree to to 4 or five holidays a year from the day they increase the pension age,

And even in the relatively more open to older workers US environment, you still have 80% of 70 year olds NOT working at all, based on those stats.
I am well aware of that,
The problem with increasing the pension age in Ireland without reforming and removing the tax loopholes which allow others to retire early who are in a better position to use loopholes,
I include myself as I retired at 62 private sector because of tax loopholes others workers were not in a position to take advantage of,

Think the US is hardly any example to cite. Example of what happens to society and politics when the social contract is broken and free markets allowed to run above all else. Let's not have any statutory maternity leave either like the US... I think the only western democracy not to have this.

Last time I was in New York most of the staff looked to be in there 70 +(sorry Duke:) ) but I don't know if the had a pension suspect they just loved working in macy's
If I go down to my local B&Q in Ireland most work part time lots already drawing the state pension,I talk to them they know my age I have a discount card for oldies, any I know well tell me they are on low part time wages but are grateful for the work ,

This is the first time in there life they are in a position to save a few bob , no private pensions low paid jobs all of there lives used every cent the ever earned to give the best start in life to those coming after them and proud to say so,

,all worked full time never took a break from work paid into the system for fifty years don't feel bad about collecting the pension they and there employer paid for,

Last edited:
I think I have posted that I first started work at 15, but my first job was about five years before when I had an evening job filling coal for a local business they had a corn mill hardware grocery shop and pub,
People tell me Ireland has changed for the better
When I look back to that time nothing has changed in Ireland since the 1960s,
the equipment was a weighting scale with two 56lbs weight to make up one hundredweight
canvas bags to take one hundredweight of coal,
bags 56lb/112lb wire ties, and twine ties, packing needle ,roll of twine,
steel name plate tags on which regular customers names were written on to be placed on the bags once full,
A few bucket a few shovels few coal spong/fork/grape!and a few rags,
first I scooped up some coal with the bucket and put it in the bag, I would then put the bag on the scales fill until the scale brought down the scale
meaning there was a hundredweight of coal in the bag,
Next you took back around half a bucket of coal to start the next bag it was well known that this was done you were buying a bag of coal not a hundredweight of coal so to speak,
You kept that up close to finishing time you had a few extra chores to do one was to pull a some bags to one side put an extra half bucket of coal in them and place the local Vet School Teacher local post office owner and a few more well off peoples name on them,

I remember the local parish priest who already was supplied with free turf from people who cut turf locally coming in to get a bag of coal I went to give him a bag from the lot almost all of his parishioners was getting no way he was having none of it he wanted a big bag split into two bags and place it in his Morris Minor car he was part of an inner circle who were charged the same as the people missing the half bucket,

I remember being at mass and the Easter dues being read out from the alter ,Mr and Mrs owner of the hardware store five pound next would be the people getting the half bucket of coal for the same price as the people who were only able to pay two and six,

When i read about increasing the pension Age to 68 in the papers and other places I think back to my first job ,

Duke seen you started this thread it is only fair for you know where I was coming form when you Queried
Google
pension 370000
In other words check are the people pushing up the pension age to 68 paying the same for there bag of coal or are they getting some extra,

Last edited:
Back