Is my ESB bill unusually high?

When electricity is used to heat, ie kettle, heater, immersion, etc. it uses a lot of energy.

Yep - kettles are serious. If it's convenient, try to observe the rotating disc on your meter as you boil a kettle - it increases speed very noticeably. Blow heaters in particular are a big power drain too.

A kettle may still use a lot less electricity than other appliances on a cumulative/monthly basis.

Only boil as much water as you need. It's easy to boil too much which is a waste.

Doesn't sound right. the domestic ESB tariff at the moment is 14.35c per hour plus VAT @ 13.5%, a total of 16.29c per 1 Kwh unit (1000watt hours)

So 5 x 40 watts = 200 watts which should cost you no more than 16.29/5 per hour, or €0.0326

Good point, maybe i have entered the incorrect unit cost.
Regardless of that 3cent/hr x 24 is still 72cent a day, over a 60 day bill is €43 just with 5 small lights on all the time. I guess energy saving bulbs are definitly the way to go, shame there are no 'real' dimmer versions.

I read somewhere that LED lights are the way to go. They use very little energy, give good light and can be put on a dimmer switch. Only problem is, they are very expensive - but hopefully that'll change with time.

I read somewhere that LED lights are the way to go. They use very little energy, give good light and can be put on a dimmer switch. Only problem is, they are very expensive - but hopefully that'll change with time.

I think LED technology is in its infancy at present. They're not dimmable, but that isn't much of a disadvantage. They're dim enough as it is.
I replaced two GU10's in my windowless ensuite with two 1w LEDs from B&Q, more out of curiosity than anything else. It's ok at night when you are going from one artificially lit room to another, but in the mornings they look very dull, although we've got used to it.
Also after only a few weeks one of them has developed a flicker.
I remember in the early 80's when low voltage downlighters came out first, they were very troublesome until the market settled down. I imagine something similar will happen with LEDs.

Last edited:
Back