Is it worth my while signing back on

chippy

I recently signed on for jobseekers allowance but in the mean time the social did a review on my case as my wife is full time employed.Anyway it turns out im now entitled to just 13 euros a week.I missed my signing on day as i had received a previous letter stating i was entitled to no money so i thought whats the point.My question, is it worth mywhile just signing back on for the credits for benefits,pension.As i see it if i had to go on the sick anytime soon i would still receive nothing due to my wife working full time.And as to the pension would that really be affected by much ? Any advice much appreciated. Chippy

My question, is it worth mywhile just signing back on for the credits for benefits,pension.
If you want these benefits, then it'd be worth your while signing back on. I would.

Have you paid PRSI contributions in the past?

If so, it is worth your while signing on for the following reasons:

1. You preserve your pension entitlements by getting a PRSI credit each week

2. You preserve your short-term benefit entitlements with these credits. Illness Benefit (which is not means tested), Jobseeker's Benefits (should you requalify by working for three months), Dental, Optical, etc.

3. If you decided to go back to education, you need to be signing on to apply for BTEA.

4. You could apply for Back To work Allowance as an employee or self-employed in the future and you'd need to be claiming SW to get that.

There are many stories of people who didn't claim benefits as they thought they would only be out of work for a few weeks adn found themselves still in the same position months later, regretting not claiming.

Back