Is it still possible to refuse an inheritance

Z

Zum

I have checked through the forum & can't see a similar question. Forgive me if I missed it but my question is..........

Is it too late to refuse an inheritance of a house after probate has been granted? The Land Registry forms have not been sent in yet, so is it possible to still refuse the inheritance?

I don't see why not. In a certain (I admit nit-picking) sense, you can't really refuse it before probate has been granted, because the executor is not formally empowered until the Grant.

When a bequest is refused, it becomes part of the residue of the estate, and is dealt with in accordance with the terms of the will; it goes to the residuary legatees.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm trying to keep all my options open even though it might sound mad to want to refuse an inheritance.

It's entirely your own business if you want to refuse a bequest. If it's a question of keeping your options open while you consider what to do, it is probably a good idea to let the Executor know so that no avoidable expenses are incurred before you have made your decision.

Back