Is it reasonable to ask a tenant to contribute towards a new kitchen?

landlord

Kitchen is in reasonable condition, with some laminate coming away from the doors and frames.
the tenant has told me that they want to stay long term. They are currently paying approx 20% below market rent and although they were previously able to afford the rent, they have now persuaded the HAP to pay almost all of their rent. Their job and job title hasn’t changed during this time. So I would assume they now have more disposable income.
Is it reasonable to ask for a small contribution for a 4 grand kitchen? Considering they want to stay long term at below market rent?
of course I would pay instead to just fix up the laminate.

I'm not a landlord, or a renter. Just a by-stander. But I'd be saying no! Why should they pay towards upgrading your property, unless its beyond standard wear and tear??

No expert on this, but you may be able to use the kitchen refurb to get an exemption to the RPZ rent increase limit of 4% and bring the rent up to market rates. Having a quick look through guidelines though I doubt that the small kitchen replacement you describe would be enough of a substantial change/refurb to qualify, a bigger refurb/change may be needed to meet the criteria. See the guide here.

As a landlord I could not recommend it. You have no idea what happens down the road. Will the tenant demand some equity in the house ? Will they claim their money back ? Will they want more stuff done to the house later ? Waaay too messy imo.

Keep the relationship purely business. If the kitchen still works and is functional then by all means pay to have the laminate fixed up.

They are currently paying approx 20% below market rent and although they were previously able to afford the rent, they have now persuaded the HAP to pay almost all of their rent. Their job and job title hasn’t changed during this time. So I would assume they now have more disposable income.

What relevance has their income got to do with it? If I earned €1m, should I be charged more for renting a property than someone who is on €50k? You made a commercial decision as their landlord to charge 20% below the market rate. Lots of landlords do to keep good tenants. If you want more, up the rent but being put out that they have more money in their pocket shouldn't come into it.

Is it reasonable to ask for a small contribution for a 4 grand kitchen? Considering they want to stay long term at below market rent?

Absolutely not. This is capital expenditure from a property that you own and benefit from. You can either get tax relief on the new kitchen or try to offset it against gains on the sale. Your tenant will not get any such benefit. It is a cost of being a landlord, keeping the property in decent condition.

No expert on this, but you may be able to use the kitchen refurb to get an exemption to the RPZ rent increase limit of 4% and bring the rent up to market rates. Having a quick look through guidelines though I doubt that the small kitchen replacement you describe would be enough of a substantial change/refurb to qualify, a bigger refurb/change may be needed to meet the criteria. See the guide here.
Those guidelines are out of date.

The legislation was amended last year to clarify and further restrict the application of this exemption.

The up to date position is outlined here:

Kitchen is in reasonable condition, with some laminate coming away from the doors and frames.
the tenant has told me that they want to stay long term. They are currently paying approx 20% below market rent and although they were previously able to afford the rent, they have now persuaded the HAP to pay almost all of their rent. Their job and job title hasn’t changed during this time. So I would assume they now have more disposable income.
The poor taxpayer god love them ,what has HAP got to do with paying for a kitchen,

Last edited:
If the tenant is happy with the property why are you trying to improve the kitchen?

If/when the tenant moves out then be ready with the funds to replace the kitchen

Just to confirm the tenant who I have always had a great relationship with is not happy with the kitchen.
This leaves me with 2 choices, temporary repair or new kitchen. I suspect he would be happy with either solution.
I agree the statement about below market rent, who pays the rent and the tenants employment status should not be relevant, but it is in the back of my mind.

No. The suggestion is entirely inappropriate. If you don’t have the money handily for this, which one assumes is the issue here, then you need to build up a sufficient fund for costs such as this. Do you have rental profits and what do you do with those.

And you’re better off getting a new kitchen rather than temporary repair. Have you increased the rent as per the rules.

+1 Bronte
What guarantee do you have that they're going to stay? Repair until its unusable, or threatens length of tenancy.

The suggestion is entirely inappropriate
I'd disagree here, tenants improvements is a known concept.

If the tenant and landlord are willing to agree on the work and the cost, tenants can indeed make improvements to the property and set the cost off against future rent due.

I've done it myself in the past and allowed a tenant two weeks rent in return for a deep clean of the entire property.

However doing this in a HAP situation could be tricky; adjustment of rent for a period of time might not be possible.

If the tenant and landlord are willing to agree on the work and the cost, tenants can indeed make improvements to the property and set the cost off against future rent due.

I've done it myself in the past and allowed a tenant two weeks rent in return for a deep clean of the entire property.

However doing this in a HAP situation could be tricky; adjustment of rent for a period of time might not be possible.

There was no suggestion of an offset, just that the tenant contribute to the cost of the new kitchen.

It's not a good idea but if you have a HAP inspection the state of the kitchen could become a problem. Can you increase the rent within the guidelines - 20% seems a lot to be below the market value. I assume you had to sign up with HAP and you are supposed to have an inspection within 8 months of commencement .

After considering all the feedback here, I think I will just bite the bullet and invest in a new kitchen without asking for any contribution. They are great tenants and deserve it. I will find the money from somewhere.

(separately I am finding the laminate on kitchen doors and trim is peeling off in a few of my rentals. The kitchens are 15-20 years old and from the same supplier......Nolan’s kitchens. Is this normal? Is it worth upgrading to solid doors?)

I have considered replacing the kitchen in the past, but from experience I have always been reluctant to spend money on an upgrades such as this with very young children in the house. However the kids have grown up at this stage.
Thanks for all the feedback.

How is that equal to paying towards a kitchen. There you were paying the tenant for the job of cleaning up.

How many tenants do you think have a handy 2k in the bank to pay for a kitchen they will not own.
In any case the tenant is entitled to a kitchen as part of the rental agreement.

After considering all the feedback here, I think I will just bite the bullet and invest in a new kitchen without asking for any contribution. They are great tenants and deserve it. I will find the money from somewhere.

(separately I am finding the laminate on kitchen doors and trim is peeling off in a few of my rentals. The kitchens are 15-20 years old and from the same supplier......Nolan’s kitchens. Is this normal? Is it worth upgrading to solid doors?)

I have considered replacing the kitchen in the past, but from experience I have always been reluctant to spend money on an upgrades such as this with very young children in the house. However the kids have grown up at this stage.
Thanks for all the feedback.
I would suggest that 15 to 20 years is normal. I replaced one recently after 25 years, new one came from B&Q. There’s lots of new products nowadays, might last better.

Back