is it possible to service a oil fire boiler yourself?

is it possible to service a oil fire boiler yourself?

Do you know the inner workings of an oil boiler? What a proper service entails? Would you know what needs to be replaced, what the settings are for the boiler etc? If no, then personally speaking, I wouldn't. I'd tackle most things at home, but usually leave such to those in the know. If you know what you are doing, then grand, but if you are not sure, then you could cause more issues than fixing.

Servicing a boiler is relatively inexpensive (relatively speaking), assuming it's just a service and it's been serviced well in the past.

If you could give us a location, you might be able to get a recommendation for someone.

Hi guys.....is it possible to service a oil fire boiler yourself?

S

It's possible to service anything that can be serviced yourself, if you know how and have the tools.

If you're asking the question, I'd suggest you're missing at least the first part, and while you could google it, you "dont know what you don't know".

To me a boiler is probably the most critical appliance in a house over winter, and with unknown ability to get emergency call outs due to restrictions, why risk an outage.

I don't know your financial situation, but to me €100 now to save a risk of €x00 or €x000 due to a failure is money well spent, and I would find the savings from something else - cancel broadband for 2 months if you needed to at an extreme end.

My thinking on this type of question is that people don't serve time at a trade for nothing and what you save on the service will probably be lost through inefficient use of the system because of a poor service. Everyone can do a bit of DIY but leave this one to the professionals IMHO.

Are you confident that you could ensure that the boiler is not at risk of emiting carbon monoxide when servicing it ?
It’s not just a false saving , it’s potentially dangerous

My father used to do it all the time.
All the time, as in, once or twice a year.
Messy job, pungent smell afterwards for days.
And these strange conical bits of floating oil soot around afterward.

How “handy” are you? If you’re the handy sort and this is the next thing step up for you, go for it, I guess. If you’re not handy there are plenty of other entry levels to DIY.

As for legality, AFAIK it’s more legal to leave a dodgy cracked socket as it is than it is for the householder to replace it.

As for legality, AFAIK it’s more legal to leave a dodgy cracked socket as it is than it is for the householder to replace it.

That is completely untrue, have a read of the works considered restricted here.

Back