Is it normal to get a visit by Gardai detectives?

horizonverizon

So two years ago, I was visited by Gardai detectives. A black car parked outside my main road and two men dressed in casual business attire got out and knocked on my door. They showed their Garda badge and said that they were detectives just checking up on me. They took down my phone number and went on their way.

What could this have been about. I was in a hospital earlier a few months before that and left before I was formally discharged. Someone said it's most likely a scam as Gardai detectives wouldn't do welfare checks.

I should mention that I was cautioned a while back and that may be it. But that was in 2017 and this happened two years later.

Well if you are still wondering about it two years later, I would suggest that you might just need to forget about it. Unless it was longest scam in history and they are still waiting two years later to destroy you using your phone number......

I think it would be very unusual for two Gardai to call to an ordinary citizen who is not involved in criminality to say "they were just checking on me" without asking any further questions or telling me what it was in connection with.

Brendan

It does seem unusual.

Not totally sure they were Gardai... if they were, possibly they were excluding you from their enquiries. When they took a look at you, you didn't match the description of the suspect / showed no obvious signs of being in a recent altercation.

You were being cared for in hospital for "some ailment" but decided to leave and say nothing to nurses or doctors.
You were cautioned by who? Was it the Guards?
We don't know why you were in hospital or why you just left the hospital, We have no idea why you were cautioned, or by who.
2 plain clothes guards called to check on you and see were you ok. That sounds ok, unless there's something you don't want to tell us.

@noproblem I was thinking the exact same.

The thread title asks :-

Is it normal to get a visit by Gardai detectives?​

To some this would be absolutely normal and to others absolutely not normal.
But as this happened two years ago and it is still bothering the OP maybe he/she belongs to the latter group.
But we really don't know.

House share in Rathmines in 2005, a Garda came to the door looking for a housemate.
PPR elsewhere in Dublin in 2010, Garda came to door looking for previous resident.
Maybe if I’d never experienced with of these I would think it not normal.

That is completely different. Gardai often call to look for people and talk to them. But they would usually tell them what it was connected with.

In the OP's case, they just said that they were "checking on him" which is odd if we are getting the full story.

Of course, if he arrived in hospital with signs of a physical assault, the Gardai may have been notified by the hospital. If they said "they were checking on him to see if he were ok" that would be fine.

Or someone could have reported him as a suspect from Garda Patrol and the Garda were just checking to eliminate him from their enquiries.

Brendan

O.P. Are you elderly and living on your own possibly in a rural location - It's possible a concerned neighbour/family member asked the Guards to keep an eye on you especially if they thought you were not in great health.

Back