Is it appropropriate to invite people to PM them for advice?

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by Jumpstartdublin, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Jumpstartdublin

Jumpstartdublin Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2016
    I have copied this from another thread as it raises an interesting issue - Brendan

That's a common situation in many locations unfortunately. Have you checked land registry of anything. Could be considered 'derelict' by council. You shouldn't have to put up with this, especially as it's potentially damaging your own home

Pm me for advice

2. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

Am curious jumpstart, as this is a public forum, and the question has been asked on a public forum, why is the advice you are offering not fit for us mere mortals?

3. Jumpstartdublin

No reason to deny mortals my advice- however, expect this is a sensitive type case and poster may not wish to share all specifics in public. I expect you will have no issue and understand the real difficulties being experienced by a fellow mortal. The opportunity to pm is open to all!

4. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

A couple of people considered Jumpstart's invitation to be in breach of the Posting Guidelines. These are the relevant Posting Guidelines

5A
    Guidelines for Professional Advisors e.g. mortgage brokers, accountants, architects, etc.
    ...you must post the replies publicly, rather than by Private Message. The main principle is "No advertising". Do not send Private Messages to users, except in reply to their PM to you. Do not invite the poster to contact you. Do not invite posters to send you a Private Message.

And

Under no circumstances should you send an email or a Private Message to any of the moderators or administrators with a general question which should be posted publicly. Like other contributors they answer questions only in the public forums. You should only contact the moderators and administrators in connection with administrative or technical issues.

Two problems arise with PMs.

1) Users often PM me asking me for my views on some issue. I decline, telling them that I only answer questions in public as the answers may be useful to others. But also because other posters may have a different, additional or better view than I have.

2) Inviting people to PM them is often a form of advertising which we don't allow.

Neither of these issues arises here. Jumpstart is presumably being helpful and is not touting for business.

If he wants to help someone privately, that is up to him.

Usually, when people PM me, they say that that they are doing it because it's a very sensitive issue. In this case, Jumpstart is anticipating that the OP considers it to be a sensitive issue.

Brendan

5. Jumpstartdublin

Thanks Brendan. Agree on both points.
    The particular complaint for a derelict type house in a neighbourhood is commonplace unfortunately. General advice was provided, but specifics relating to case need to be determined to provide the best solution. Like all would-be advisors on here, I am mindful to not offer any further opinion on the case.

6. twofor1

twofor1 Frequent Poster

Countless amounts of good advice is given on this forum, it is a valuable resource for many.

I have though seen advice given here, in good faith from frequent posters, who appear to know what they are talking about, but that advice is wrong.

What usually happens in this situation is someone corrects the poster giving the wrong advice, so no harm done.

If this wrong advice was given by PM, it could hinder rather than assist, could even be costly to the poster looking for advice.

I personally would be wary of advice given by PM.

roncondon and llgon like this.
  7. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

Ditto. The whole ethos of AAM is to share knowledge, advice & support. Turning a thread into a PM discussion looks as if the conversation is going underground. Nothing wrong with a PM to swap phone numbers etc. but I can't see why a general query should be taken into the realms of PMs. Looking at Jumpstarts call to PM .. I think he/she jumped the gun by offering to take the discussion into PM territory.

I don't see anything in the OP's thread that would have needed the privacy of PM to continue the discussion/imparting of advice/offering support etc.

What's the point of having a discussion forum if matters can't be discussed on the forum?

mathepac, LS400, moneybox and 2 others like this.
  8. LS400

LS400 Frequent Poster

There is a time and place for PM`s, there was nothing in the original post to suggest any type sensitivity. Folk who, whether registered on the site or not, may have the same issues prevailing, but lack the confidence to ask the question.
    You will also find I suspect, that most people who register, have been lurkers for some time.