Is it a requirement by law that a QS be a member of an institution before they can take on work?

Kerrigan

Is it a requirement by law to have a fully qualified quantity surveyor or building surveyor be assigned or be a member of an institution before he/she can sign off on works i.e. property survey etc?

Is it a requirement by law to have a fully qualified quantity surveyor or building surveyor be assigned or be a member of an institution before he/she can sign off on works i.e. property survey etc?

Anyone can do a property survey. You don't need to have any qualifications. Anyone with any sense will want to know the qualifications of the person they are employing but some people can be very tight with money and will go with the cheapest person they can find.

Would it be safe to assume, from the sparse information provided, that, shock horror, the person employed to do a survey has no or few qualifications?

mf

That cheap skate was me!!!! I recently had a property survey and noticed where the QS signed off that they were not a member of an institution but where well educated in the field of QS.

Back