Is Ireland a highly taxed country?

had anyone worked out what the % tax take is on domestic output compared to other countries? A more realistic figure. One pharmaceutical plant just paid 3b in dividends!!

Last edited:
Appendix 1A of the report gives a sense of what goes into the Capital calculations, it’s much broader than just CGT/DIRT - “…
the sum of taxes on the income or profits of corporations, taxes
on financial and capital transactions, capital taxes, current taxes on capital, taxes on winnings from lottery and games, stamp taxes, and other taxes on production”

ERSI said:
The effective tax rate on capital income is given by:
CAPT is defined as the sum of taxes on the income or profits of corporations
Thanks for pointing to that. I'd skipped over that because it says it included corporations, assuming there was something else broken for people since the original figure was next to income with corporate broken out by itself. With corps included I'm now wondering why it is so high :)

It's more than just the tax, it's the disposable income.

Tax rates for higher earners are close to Swedish levels.

However in return the Irish get far less.
  • No final salary linked state pension
  • No universal health care
  • Less child care
  • Expensive and inadequate public transport
Unlike a Swede an Irish person is buying health insurance, putting income into private pensions, paying for child care, buying heavily taxed cars when they'd prefer not to.

Disposable income for someone earning 100k on Sweden would probably be higher than here despite more income tax.
In France according to that chart it's even better as less tax, and generally good public services.

Many of these countries stop their equivalent of employee PRSI at a threshold - as the pensions and benefits there really are "Pay Related".
Don't forget about the built infrastructure too which you get the benefit from.

As one simple example, the town I lived in in France had not 1, but 3 council-run pools. They were cheap to access yet with facilities which easily beat the best private pools here. Just one of many examples which improve the quality of life.

Ireland is a low tax country for almost everyone:

1659710675905.png
What is striking there is how low our rates of capital taxation are.
Both of these strike me as very low.

Brendan
But our marginal rates are high at relatively low income levels and that a disincentive to work.
It's more than just the tax, it's the disposable income.

Tax rates for higher earners are close to Swedish levels.

However in return the Irish get far less.
  • No final salary linked state pension
  • No universal health care
  • Less child care
  • Expensive and inadequate public transport
Unlike a Swede an Irish person is buying health insurance, putting income into private pensions, paying for child care, buying heavily taxed cars when they'd prefer not to.

Disposable income for someone earning 100k on Sweden would probably be higher than here despite more income tax.
In France according to that chart it's even better as less tax, and generally good public services.

Many of these countries stop their equivalent of employee PRSI at a threshold - as the pensions and benefits there really are "Pay Related".
That's a measure of inefficiency in Public Institutions. We are inefficient in how we deliver services and so lots of money is wasted.

What is the squeezed middle? Earnings around €55k?

View attachment 6461
These are the rates for single PAYE workers.

Effective tax rates are certainly not out of line.

The lower paid pay very little in Ireland.

It would be lower again for married couples with children.

Brendan
Hi Brendan
How can you say this. USC has stopped doing what was intended, aka make everyone pay something! Increasing the tax base has been whittled away by populism and a competition almost of "how many can we remove from paying USC" each year.
Also, if you take Eur100k or Eur150k Vs the Eur25k start point
At Eur25k - Switzerland is the only country where someone pays less income tax
At Eur100 or Eur150k - only in Sweden and Germany do people pay more income tax - how does that not equate to too few people paying far too much at too high rates of income tax at not extremely high incomes
Couple that with the more expensive everything in this country and it is any wonder, people stay at all !!

Yes it is highly taxed, no question about it, while other countries like Germany and Scandinavian countries might have high taxes they also have a fixation on value for money and inflation controls. Therefore in Germany even though it is the most productive economy in the world you can easily get a cheap beer and pizza .
This is not the case in Ireland because certain sectors like the legal profession have an inordinate level of power. I'm in Germany now, last night I saw girls and guys dancing precariously on a flimsy table, if one falls off its their own tough luck, in Ireland the bar would be closed because they would not be able to afford insurance.
The Irish government needs to radically overhaul the legal system in Ireland because the current situation is stifling the Irish indigenous sector

I'm in Germany now, last night I saw girls and guys dancing precariously on a flimsy table, if one falls off its their own tough luck
According to Exploring Global Landscapes of Litigation, Germany is the most litigious country in the world, ahead of even the US; Ireland is not even in the top 10.

This is what really gets me, the entry point to the top rate:

View attachment 6522
It's worse than it looks; Estonia, Hungary and Czech Republic have a flat income tax system, i.e. a single rate. Slovakia's highest rate is 25%, the low rate is 19%. Therefore it's really only Belgium where the higher rate applies at a lower income within a similar income tax system.

Ireland has a very progressive precarious income tax system
Much debate in the media about the (over) reliance on the corporate tax take, but comparatively little on income tax, the vast majority of which is paid by individuals working for the big corporates.

Back