Is dishonesty a crime?

ClubMan

I read in the Irish Times yesterday of a case in which an individual was charged with "dishonesty" in relation to alleged attempts to convince another party that c. €300K worth of diamonds had been stolen. It did not go into any more detail than that. I checked www.IrishStatuteBook.ie but could find no mention of dishonesty being a crime in itself. Does anybody know if this is the case and what specific law covers this crime?

Good question. I've checked the statuate book myself and find reference to the following items which may answer your question:

Criminal Justice (Theft & Fraud Offences) Act - 2001, Section 6

Making gain or causing loss by deception.
6.—(1) A person who dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another, by any deception induces another to do or refrain from doing an act is guilty of an offence.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.

Section 10 of the same act refers to false accounting;
10.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he or she dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another—

(a) destroys, defaces, conceals or falsifies any account or any document made or required for any accounting purpose,

(b) fails to make or complete any account or any such document, or

(c) in furnishing information for any purpose produces or makes use of any account, or any such document, which to his or her knowledge is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular.

(2) For the purposes of this section a person shall be treated as falsifying an account or other document if he or she—

(a) makes or concurs in making therein an entry which is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular, or

(b) omits or concurs in omitting a material particular therefrom.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or both.

Does that make sense?

Thanks mo3art. Interesting. I'd never heard of anybody being charged with that specific crime before and wondered if the Irish Times had got it wrong or something. Looks like they didn't. Seems like and odd crime to be honest. Surely most of us are arguably guilty of the section 6 crime at some point in our lives!

Back