Is brand new car worth it?

pinoy

Family is planning to buy 7 seater next month. Deciding between Grand Scenic or Toyota Avensis.

We plan to keep the family car for at as long as we can (hopefully will last at least 10 yrs).

So do you think spending 33-38K on brand new is worth it? I really have doubts buying 2nd hand with at least 10K mileage already in it.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Pinoy,

All the number crunchers advise a car depreciates most in the first year. Have you considered ex rentals - they usually come on stream in Sept/Oct and can represent a good saving with the benefits of buying "as new".

If you are looking to keep the car for 10yrs - then I would suggest the Toyota over the Renault- nice and all that it is ,I would have concerns about Renaults long term build quality and reliability

I reckon buying brand new only works if you really need that new car smell, and an 05 plate.

Financially it just doesn't work.

Try and buy a lightly used one privately if you can find one, and avoid anything ex rental fleet.

A low mileage ex rental is always suspicious imho - has it been tipped or has it caused mechanical trouble?

Try www.carzone.ie

A Toyota will probably last better than a Renault but may cost more, but in either case a/c and abs are essential as a minimum. High vehicles need good stopping power and cars with lots of glass need interior cooling.

Best value is likely to be a Seat Alhambra, which is essentially the same as a V.W. Sharan (crappy name that) or a Ford Galaxy.

Buy a diesel as these a re big cars needing a lot of torque to pull them along happily. Petrol derivatives can't make good progress on the road without stirring the gearbox continuously.

pinoy: Having looked for ages at the Toyota Avensis, Seat Alhambra, Grand Scenic and Hyundai Trajet we finally decided on a new Grand Scenic and bought one in January. It was a close decision as we intend to keep it for 10 years but the Toyota (which should run forever) was just too expensive and I just decided against the hassle of buying a second hand Alhambra. FYI - the Scenic was a 1.6 Sport with A/c, mats, flaps, tank of petrol, met paint & delivery - it came to around 29k and we got a cash price of 26.5k. At least it can't be less reliable than my Fiat Punto. I may have went for a ex-rental but it was just a new model, you should be able to get ex-rentals from Sept/Oct.

In my honest opinion buying a new car is nuts (financially speaking).

3 to 4 years is the sweet spot for depreciation and a great value proposition. In particular those high value cars preferably maxed out with all the nice extra that cost a fortune when new (read leather seats, climate control, cruise control etc.) are incredible value at this point.

I'm all in favour of the "Buy New, Trade in Every Year" brigade, it's because of those folk that I get to drive in style for considerably less money. :D

Back