Is a credit card compulsory nowadays to check into an Hotel?

A

ajapale

Im not sure whethere this question belongs in 'Banking and Credit Cards', 'Consumer Good Deals/Bad Deals' 'Travel and Hotels' or just plain old 'Letting off Steam'.

A friend of mine was booked by their company to stay in a well know hotel in Belfast. When they went to check in they were told that they needed to make an impression of their credit card.

Now, my friend does not have a credit card and has no intention of ever getting one.

My friend offered their laser card but was told that it would not work in the UK. An impasse ensued and was only resolved when another colleague arrived and her credit card was used to make the impression.

Is this correct? Effecitvely this means that a credit card is comupulsory to check into an Hotel out side the state. Does any one have any comments?

ajapale

Re: Is a credit card compulsory nowadays to check into an Ho

In my experience the request for a credit card is pretty much standard these days, even when on corporate bookings.

I believe the rationale behind this is 1. Identification (I'm not sure why they need to know but they do) and 2. To cover excesses on the room - a corporate booking will usually cover the cost of the room only so if you attack the mini bar the hotel needs some way of getting the money off you if you do a runner

efm

cc

I've stayed in a number of european cities cardless but on every occasion we had the accommodation booked and paid for online using a family members credit card. Except in Paris, the CC was only used to secure the booking but we didn't know that and gave sister in law x amount of money and then the hotel demanded the entire cost on departure from us. They were very lucky we had the cash left!

Re: cc

ajapale - a credit card is just as 'compulsory' when checking into a hotel within the state.

The real fact of the matter is that most hotels like to get the credit card imprint so they have something physical if you do a runner and their front of house people are told as part of their instruction that they must get an imprint. It's part of the training.

It is not a legal requirement.

From the hotel operators point of view it may be an operational requirement - if you want to do business with them you must provide your card. This is not to say that a suitable word in a managers ear won't get around this problem, but your friend may have to get used to heated discussions in hotel lobbies if he doesn't intend getting a card. And in car rental places. And not being able to book budget airlines.

z

Re: cc

I'm sure that most hotels would accept payment of a deposit in advance by individuals who don't hold a credit card.

hotels

I stayed in jurys in cork last year a friend booked a few rooms, which she had to secure with her credit card, but when we got there we all paid by cash/laser on arrival so they didn't take an imprint, but still had her card no. from when she made the booking

Re: hotels

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The heated discussions I was talking about above assumed that someone arrived to check in with neither cash nor credit card and wanted to pay on check-out only. Of course if they have the cash at check-in this is not likely to be a problem.

Most hotels would of course be satisfied with cash upfront - in which case the issue of an imprint becomes moot.

Of course if the hotel has had a problem with people staying and doing damage they may want cash payment upfront and a cash deposit upfront too. This is when it becomes handy to have a credit card.

z

Thanks for the comments All!

Within the state a laser card is acceptable. However outside the state a laser card is not acceptable. At some time in the future perhaps debit cards will be acceptable in the UK, across EU and beyond.

Up to about 5 years ago it was common for large companies to have accounts with the hotels. The employee merely had to show identification. This practice seems to have fallen out of use in recent years.

Has anyone any experience with paying cash up front/ or a deposit to hotels. This is not a problem in euroland but can be a problem where you have buy sterling or Kroner or whatever.

thanks again for the comments.

ajapale

And if you pay with credit card in Europe be carefully (especially in France).

When you check in they are requesting approval for the estimate spending (which is room expected breakfast expected other charges).

When you check out they should submit the final and use the authorization number given previously , however a lot of places in Europe don't do that and just get another approval for the correct amount of the bill because the check-in approval should drop after 7 days.

I have this a lot in France and if I wreck up 1000 Euro in a hotel it blocks 2000 Euro for a couple of days.

So when you check out, make sure they release the check in authorization or re-use it with the final bill amount.

Back