Is a Certificate of Compliance still valid?

LTL1234

Hi
We are in the later stages of selling our house. The engineer who conducted the survey on behalf of the buyers has noted discrepancies between the house and the original plans. The main points being

- Planning was for two bedrooms upstairs there are 3

- As a result of 3rd bedroom there is an extra velux window to the rear

- If velux was put in post '91 or when built it does not meet fire regulations

- Extra velux window in the roof to the front of the property

- A large window to the side elevation

The only changes we carried out since purchasing the house is the new window to the side elevation and an engineer has confirmed planning was not required and is happy to sign.

The house was built in 1983, there is a certificate of compliance in place when it changed hands in 1986 & a declaration in place from 2008 when we bought the house stating no alterations were made since the certificate of compliance in '86

The engineer who conducted the survey had access to the certificate of compliance. This certificate was enough when we purchased the property in 2008 and my solicitor was happy to proceed.

I have spoken to my solicitor, he seems unsure if the certificate of compliance will be enough to satisfy the buyers solicitor.

We are aware we can apply to the council for confirmation that enforcement orders cannot be served etc. but we do not have the luxury of time as have contracts to sign for the house we want to purchase.

My question is... is this certificate of compliance still valid and does it cover the discrepancies from the original plans or is it a matter of one solicitors opinion over another?

I would be grateful for opinions or if anyone has experienced something similar?

Last edited:
Back