Case study Irish/ UK Pension

I'm Nobody

Hello to all the wise people on here.
I will be 66 next January. I will have 9 years reckonable paid contributions for an Irish pension when I pay my tax bill for 2021 next October.
My reading of the pension rules is I would need 10 years before I could claim the 6 years carers support grant that I got for looking after my mother in Ireland.
I am now a House husband and might be able to claim some years for that as my child is at school still.
I worked in England for 9 years. I have topped up my UK pension paying class 2 voluntary contributions for 14 years, bringing it up to 23 years.
My last state pension forecast from the UK was for £123.16 last August.
My two questions are do I need to top up my Irish pension to 10 years to qualify or
should I combine my Irish and UK pensions or keep them separate.
Thanks in advance.

You can seek to combine your UK National Insurance record with your Irish record. You should contact the Reords Office of the Dept of Social Protection in Buncrana, give them your UK details and they will liaise with the UK Dept of Work & Pensions to check out what your best options are.
If by combining both sets of contributions you can get close to the max Pension in Ireland, that might be the best outcome. But Buncrana will run the numbers for you.

Have you any earnings for 2022 ?
If you have you might be able to reach the 10 year contributions requirement.
If not and you find yourself short on Prsi contributions you could make voluntary contributions for 2022.

Thanks for you all for getting back to me.
My earnings for 2022 wouldn't be paid until October 2023 and that wouldn't count towards my pension as I would be over 66 and once you reach pension age they are discounted.
I found out today that you have to have 10 years PRSI contributions before you can make a voluntary contributions.
So I think I am stymied.
I think this means I would have to put my UK pension towards an Irish pension as I won't qualify for an Irish Pension by itself,
missing out by a year, and the credits for being a carer.
I will get on to the departments tomorrow and I will let you know how I get on.
As I'm sure other people may have the same problem.
Thanks again.

You could get a job for 12 months and fill in the missing year that way?

You don't have to wait until October 2023 to submit your 2022 tax return. You could pay your tax before your 66th birthday in January 2023. Also if the earnings relate to 2022 when you are aged 65 you would probably be liable for Prsi on those earnings.

Last edited:
That's interesting, only problem is my birthday is January 1st.
But I will talk to my accountant and see what he says.
I would be liable for PRSI if I could pay it early and that would give me the ten years I need.

You are liable to pay Prsi up to 31/12/2022. When you make your tax return in 2023 you are paying the Prsi due for 2022 in arrears. If you make your tax return early in January 2023 you will get your 10 years of paid contributions on your Prsi record and you can then apply for the Irish Pension.

I will be 66 next January. I will have 9 years reckonable paid contributions for an Irish pension when I pay my tax bill for 2021 next October.
My reading of the pension rules is I would need 10 years before I could claim the 6 years carers support grant that I got for looking after my mother in Ireland.
I am now a House husband and might be able to claim some years for that as my child is at school still.
I worked in England for 9 years. I have topped up my UK pension paying class 2 voluntary contributions for 14 years, bringing it up to 23 years.
My two questions are do I need to top up my Irish pension to 10 years to qualify or
Thanks in advance.

Update.
I have received my Irish and UK pensions.
My Irish contributions went up to 572 reckonable paid by including my Home Caring Periods.
Separately I have received my UK pension.

Do you mind my asking what the UK pension came to with 23 years contributions? Did it stay around the £120 mark?

Thanks in advance.

Update.
My Irish contributions went up to 572 reckonable paid by including my Home Caring Periods.
....and how much did the 572 PRSI contributions pay?

UK pension is £126.96 a week and of course there is a 10% increase in April.
I was quoted £33 before I topped up.
So paying £158 a year class 2 contributions is a no brainer.
Irish Pension is €172.90.
Hope this will be useful to some of you here.

For you? Or is that the full rates? Thought irish was €253

Nice one, a good result for you, I hope it makes your retirement a lot more comfortable.

I've 15 years of contributions and I want to top up on class 2 contributions before the deadline in April. Is there a way to find out if I am eligible to find out if I can top up with class 2 rather than class 3? I'm having difficulty finding the info online. Also how did you go about making you top up contributions?

Is there a way to find out if I am eligible to find out if I can top up with class 2 rather than class 3? I'm having difficulty finding the info online. Also how did you go about making you top up contributions?

If you were living or working abroad​

You can pay Class 2 or Class 3 voluntary contributions if you had either:

• previously lived in the UK for 3 years in a row
  • paid at least 3 years of contributions
To pay Class 2 voluntary contributions you must also have worked in the UK immediately before leaving.

Fill in form CF83 at the end of leaflet NI83. Send the form to HMRC using the address on the form.

Thanks in advance.

Update.
Hi
I have just been contacted by Social Protection - they say I have 668 Paid / Reckonable contributions (average 14 years) giving me 106 euro p/week.
Does this sound right ?

Nice one, a good result for you, I hope it makes your retirement a lot more comfortable.

I've 15 years of contributions and I want to top up on class 2 contributions before the deadline in April. Is there a way to find out if I am eligible to find out if I can top up with class 2 rather than class 3? I'm having difficulty finding the info online. Also how did you go about making you top up contributions?
I sent off a sterling bank draft every year for myself and Mrs Nobody, until last year when we used a Bank transfer.

Back