Irish Times "Why landlords are selling up: taxes, regulation and fear of Sinn Féin"

Properties come in three types: owner-occupied, social rental, and private rental.

In the above example the number of properties doesn't change of course, just their ownership to either owner occupancy or social rental.

So do you think the optimal mix of property use in Ireland includes 0% private rental?

Just wondering . Are there any local authorities tenants in part ownership schemes?

No, because 10 families, who were renting, now have their own place. Did the house disappear ?, no, it did not, it just changed ownership to private or local authority or whatever.
Were none of the rental houses purchased by returning expats from abroad? Or by immigrants? Or by a recently divorced/separated man who previously was living in the family home? Or by a singleton or couple who were living in their parents/in laws house while saving for a deposit? Or by a singleton who was renting a bedroom in a four bedroom house and is now occupying the new house as a single person???

Its a bit naive assuming that 10 renters bought 10 houses and all is right with the world. What about renters house sharing who don't have the means to purchase a house? Or newly qualified college graduates moving to Dublin to work for the first time, where will they house share now the rental sector is gone? This isn't a zero sum game where all losses are gains on the other side. There are losers, big time there are, and it's all on the tenants in the futures side. Seeing as SF rehtoric and threats for landlords are exaccerbating the problem for renters, who are as a result ironically enough turning to support SF, it stands to reason that SF will be able to solve the problem when they are in government. Turkeys voting for Xmas of sorts.

Let's hope for the sake of the economy and the renters of the future, that there's another option to institutional REITS charging €3500 for a 3 bed apartment.

Even so, previously let houses dont disappear, and are bought by people needing housing (private or local authority).
So is there a problem?
Yes - the house I bought housed a family of 3, so effectively what previously housed 3 people now houses 1. The majority of homes are bought by couples or single people, not groups of 3 or 4 adults sharing, so there is a net loss of overall housing, thats why the current crisis is so related to low levels of new developments & rental units at affordable prices.

Were none of the rental houses purchased by returning expats from abroad? Or by immigrants? Or by a recently divorced/separated man who previously was living in the family home? Or by a singleton or couple who were living in their parents/in laws house while saving for a deposit? Or by a singleton who was renting a bedroom in a four bedroom house and is now occupying the new house as a single person???

Its a bit naive assuming that 10 renters bought 10 houses and all is right with the world. What about renters house sharing who don't have the means to purchase a house? Or newly qualified college graduates moving to Dublin to work for the first time, where will they house share now the rental sector is gone? This isn't a zero sum game where all losses are gains on the other side. There are losers, big time there are, and it's all on the tenants in the futures side. Seeing as SF rehtoric and threats for landlords are exaccerbating the problem for renters, who are as a result ironically enough turning to support SF, it stands to reason that SF will be able to solve the problem when they are in government. Turkeys voting for Xmas of sorts.

Let's hope for the sake of the economy and the renters of the future, that there's another option to institutional REITS charging €3500 for a 3 bed apartment.
As I said, almost every single unit purchased out of the rented sector will have lower overall occupancy than the original rental because people buying homes are almost always better off that people stuck long term in the private rented sector.

And the 10 owner occupiers... where did they live previously? Tents?

Surely, that's 10 less looking for a rental property, so it evens itself out.

The issue to me, is that there aren't enough rental properties in the pool at the outset.

I can't see this issue ever having a resolution. Population in Ireland is only going to keep rising. The cost of building accommodation is only going to keep rising. Builders won't build at a loss. Accommodation is never going to be able to meet demand.

One of the biggest mistakes officialdom made was to outlaw bedsits. There was nothing wrong with them. At the start of my working life, I lived in one and it suited my needs perfectly. They'll never come back because people's expectations have exploded.
They'll never come back because minimum standards instituted between 2007-2011 and reinforced by societal expectations have increased the minimum standard to a far more expensive home than traditionally could be cheaply built.
Unless we accept that rentals, social homes or small homes for FTBs *can* have lower standards than A2 rated heatpump and solar power superhomes, which only a tiny minority can currently afford, we are going to have an enormous problem.

If you read what I said, I actually agree with you.

Accommodation needs will always be playing catch-up and in my humble opinion, it will never catch up to demand.

I remember the 80s when there were more properties than tenants. You could walk out of rental into another within an hour or so.

Even after the crash in 2008 there were lot of empty rentals around.

It's cyclical, but a variety of economic decisions, commoditization of housing, privatisation of social housing population growth, economic growth have over fuelled the housing market into crisis. Various govts have had their foot firmly on the accelerator even as the engine light is on and bad noises from the engine.

It can't balance out with all interference in the market.

Maybe someone could help me out here.Just read Times article mentioned above.Sinn Fein policy will allow sale of property but only with Tenants in situ-will this preclude purchase of property by prospective owner occupier?.If such properties are marked down by let's say20% would they not be attractive to investors who anticipate tenants may leave within a certain period of time and where the rent was not below market value.The article mentioned a case of a renovation and gave the example of costs of 40,000 on which you could claim 10%over 10 years.I have understood(perhaps incorrectly) that monies spent to increase the asset value were allowable at point of sale
What investors? The only investors who are currently buying are so-called "vulture funds." Unless SF has plans for its generous donors giving to Friends of Sinn Fein USA of course?

I remember the 80s when there were more properties than tenants. You could walk out of rental into another within an hour or so.

Even after the crash in 2008 there were lot of empty rentals around.

It's cyclical, but a variety of economic decisions, commoditization of housing, privatisation of social housing population growth, economic growth have over fuelled the housing market into crisis. Various govts have had their foot firmly on the accelerator even as the engine light is on and bad noises from the engine.

It can't balance out with all interference in the market.
The 80s and 2008 had one big thing in common: net emigration. Housing was always easier here when emigration was high.

No, because 10 families, who were renting, now have their own place. Did the house disappear ?, no, it did not, it just changed ownership to private or local authority or whatever.
Nah, they get bought by people like me who reduce the occupancy from 3 people to just 1, and I left a 1 bed unit not big enough, where the LL wasn't registered so if it does reappear back on the market it will be at 2x the modest rent I paid. That still 3 people out of a home.
Most FTBs are better off - literally every Central Bank and ESRI paper on the topic for the past 20 years has banged in this point - FTBs and most buyers are far better off than the average tenant and can afford lower occupancy levels than tenants can.

They'll never come back because minimum standards instituted between 2007-2011 and reinforced by societal expectations have increased the minimum standard to a far more expensive home than traditionally could be cheaply built.
Unless we accept that rentals, social homes or small homes for FTBs *can* have lower standards than A2 rated heatpump and solar power superhomes, which only a tiny minority can currently afford, we are going to have an enormous problem.

We to build need the Dacia of housing.
Wartime housing..

We to build need the Dacia of housing.
Wartime housing..
We do, but its now socially unacceptable to suggest that a family of 2 should live in anything smaller than 80m2 with A2 rating and a heat pump.
We no longer are willing either to build smaller units that would be cheaper to build and cheaper to run.

The 80s and 2008 had one big thing in common: net emigration. Housing was always easier here when emigration was high.

We only flipped to net immigration fairly recently. Like within the last decade. However our housing output, the housing we create is at historically low levels. Perfect storm.

Going slightly back to the title.

Not just fear of SF and what they might do
Gov FF FG and all the mates have shifted the goal posts constantly on mom and pop LL's
So yes I worry about SF, but only as much as the other shower interfering.

Not to mention the media bias of all LL's bad, no bad renters.
Bad on both sides.

For me 1 place sold and done, other one is on notice now, don't want to be in the debate anymore.

It hasn't been steady though...

Also worth contrasting with housing output

Back