Irish Times article: "Why do some investors pay more tax than others?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn’t give a monkeys what level of Corporation Tax the multinationals pay.

That has never been the game.

The game is the tens of thousands of people getting paid massive amounts of money via salary and share options etc, most of which is subject to tax at 52% and a lot of it to 10.75% Employer PRSI also.

That figure, 25% of PAYE, is staggering on one level, yet not really surprising either.

The media and the left generally are a disgrace in which they keep banging on about the 12.5% rate and multinationals generally; it’s deeply unpatriotic and economic suicide.

We should be a nation of people holding signs saying “Move Along, Nothing to See Here”.

And there should be statues of Lemass, Whitaker, the IDA, etc.

I should also say that the average PAYE taxpayer is to high, a marginal rate of 52% on any extra income like bonus, or shares really needs to looked at as it acts as a disincentive.
Yes there are tax efficient schemes in place but they usually mean there is salary forgone and then if the shares do well theres a CGT tax to be paid .

Where an acceptable balance is I've no idea but taxing unrealised profits really is taking the pee.

I couldn’t give a monkeys what level of Corporation Tax the multinationals pay.

That has never been the game.

The game is the tens of thousands of people getting paid massive amounts of money via salary and share options etc, most of which is subject to tax at 52% and a lot of it to 10.75% Employer PRSI also.

That figure, 25% of PAYE, is staggering on one level, yet not really surprising either.

The media and the left generally are a disgrace in which they keep banging on about the 12.5% rate and multinationals generally; it’s deeply unpatriotic and economic suicide.

We should be a nation of people holding signs saying “Move Along, Nothing to See Here”.

And there should be statues of Lemass, Whitaker, the IDA, etc.
And by extension those who supply services to those Multinationals, from memory I think one Multinational job creates 1.33 non direct job? I don't know if that's the correct figure but there is a direct correlation between these jobs.

And by extension those who supply services to those Multinationals, from memory I think one Multinational job creates 1.33 non direct job? I don't know if that's the correct figure but there is a direct correlation between these jobs.
Absolutely!

Imagine the value of the services supplied into those multinationals…from legals to sandwiches to everything.

Crazy!

As with everything in this country, tax everything that moves (except for the large multinationals who pay nothing).

Steven

Look what happens when you make an off topic side comment.

It destroys an otherwise good thread as people are going to respond to this.

It's better just to stay on topic.

I am closing the thread.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back