Irish staycation 2020/2021 Pros and Cons, will you be tempted?

Was your flight to Marseille full?
No. We always book seats A and C, hoping that B is left free. Usually backfires but this time it worked. I would say about 2/3rds full.
Is there social distancing in restaurants?
Yes 1 metre but you would hardly notice the difference. They are allowed to spread out a bit more into the street.
Did you feel as safe in France as you did in Ireland or were you looking over your shoulder re Covid?
It all feels fairly normal, the French are still doing that kissing on the cheek thing they do, though maybe that is between people in a unit. Got my hair cut yesterday. The hairdresser wore a mask and insisted that I do as well for which she charged me an extra €2.

I need a beer or two to make those things fly but was told I must buy a breakfast for €9 and have it in front of me.
really illustrates how ridiculous the 9euro meal rule is, especially when we are trying to stop people going abroad on holidays. Whats the point in staying at home when all the activities are so restricted.

really illustrates how ridiculous the 9euro meal rule is, especially when we are trying to stop people going abroad on holidays. Whats the point in staying at home when all the activities are so restricted.
Yes, very silly. But one can see how it arose. Pubs as we traditionally understand them seem "riskier" than restaurants as we traditionally understand them and so there was a certain logic to their reopening in a later phase.
But then we face the obvious question "what is the difference between a pub that sells food and a restaurant that sells drink?" ergo we find ourselves with a makie up definition of the former.
Anyway the anomaly is due to disappear on July 20th.

I did not go to a pub but I think that the 9 euro meal makes no sense . I would rather go to a restaurant for food and have a drink or two there.
I would like to be able to have food if I choose to not by having to .

I did not go to a pub but I think that the 9 euro meal makes no sense . I would rather go to a restaurant for food and have a drink or two there.
I would like to be able to have food if I choose to not by having to .

The €9 charge is there because some pubs insisted that they were effectively restaurants and, therefore, should open at the same time. Just because a few are flaunting the rules doesn't negate this requirement (although it was entirely foreseeable that "issues" would arise).

Pubs aren't scheduled to open until the 20th - and I would not be certain of that going ahead. Many will be fine but many more will disregard the rules and enforcement will be impossible.

Been on holiday in west Cork. We rented a house (been here before) and were asked to bring all our own bedding and towels which was new but still happy to comply.

Went to one pub last weekend (which always felt more like a restaurant than a pub). Booked for 6.30, limited menu but still the same food, quality was not great, but pub had a lot of people in and out looking for a table or takeaway. Did not really enjoy myself. Staff made no effort at masks or social distancing but made a big deal of taking contact phone numbers.

Went to a restaurant mid week, screens around each table, staff wore masks. Menu only on wall, very nice food, much better experience.

tried another pub this weekend, sat outside so no need to book. Did not order alcohol so did not need to get food, some others in the family did. Pub was a little lax on the food vs alcohol rule, but closed promptly at 7.30 pm. Still every table had a mixture of food/drink, but they definitely were happy to have customers. heard of another pub with a chipper next door, will serve you drink when they see the chipper receipt and there are lots of outside tables that they will bring the drinks to you while you eat.

I see the aqua dome in tralee is not to reopen now, the corona virus lock down and no visibility on reopening was the final catalyst to close down the facility completely. However the compo culture and the cost of insurance where they needed to have 120 thousand excess to get insured was in the background. They were fearful that the compo culture would extended to people suing for corona virus infections. Ireland had very few of these type of facilities even before this. So this makes holidaying in Ireland much less attractive now, no facilities like aqua dome, pubs still closed and possibly also not reopening next week. Oh and we have our Atlantic weather back again, sunshine every day like we got in April and may is NOT the new normal.

Heading to Donegal soon and lets hope the weather picks up had to cancel trip to UK but did not lose money

Wondering what the pubs and restaurants are going to be like but wont be going for any "sessions"

Looking forward to seeing more of my own country after travelling the world
Make sure you don't drive through the UK to get there! ;)

Will the public bars which I imagine includes the hotel bars not opening until at least 10th Aug add to the to the disadvantages of a holidayn at home this year?

I went out and bought a boat. We live in galway and weve been out to the islands on lough corrib, fishing , bbqs etc. The kids love it. The memories created, the views, the enjoyment on the boys faces has covered the cost already and will have it for many a year more. Best small investment ive made

I think that if you are a resident in a hotel you don,t have to order food with your drink though.

I think that if you are a resident in a hotel you don,t have to order food with your drink though.
Can't find the exact regulation/guideline but pretty sure the same rules apply to hotel residents as everyone else; i.e. they too have to order food to get a drink

I know that as a resident you can order drinks from the bar, eg, to your room. I am not sure about ordering drinks to have in the bar unless you are also having a meal.

I went out and bought a boat. We live in galway and weve been out to the islands on lough corrib, fishing , bbqs etc. The kids love it. The memories created, the views, the enjoyment on the boys faces has covered the cost already and will have it for many a year more. Best small investment ive made
What sort of boat?

Staycation rebate to be rolled this afternoon,it should be interesting to see how this will work .

As a resident of a hotel you can have a drink without having food. I just found out from a hotel in Dublin.
You have to order it to your room to be compliant. What you do or where you go with it after it's ordered to your room is not covered in the rules.

Back