Irish staycation 2020/2021 Pros and Cons, will you be tempted?

After watching Claire Byrne Live last night, and seeing my neighbour (The Turtle, we call him) in the park with his three young children,
I’d say many Irish families will be either holidaying in Ireland or chancing abroad.
The schools have been closed since 12th March. Many households have had one or both parents at home, without any friends or family or au pairs or child-minders or crèches or babysitters.
The last three months have been one very long staycation and few are going to want a staycation, no matter how cheap it is.

As for the expense of holidaying in Ireland, many who are in employment have spent very little money in the last three months and are flush.

Flush or not, I'm not going to pay €200-€300+ per night for a family room in a hotel with no kids club, where you have to book a reservation for breakfast, limited bar and restaurant action, possibly no spa/treatments for herself and a revolving door policy on the swimming pool. Too sterile for me.

Originally we were meant to do a two-week trip to Italy, luckily we had not booked anything.

I am lucky to have access to a holiday home in the South East, so once travel restrictions are lifted we will probably spend a month of the summer down there.

Ha! Have you said that to many parents who have taken over the teaching role of their children?!!

That’s what I mean! I’m one of those.

Steducation, I call it.
I was so delighted this morning after I was finished with my son and I went to get my daughter started. She was sound asleep on the couch. A duvet-day. Good enough for me. Phew!

From memory Ireland has something like a 2:1 tourism deficit. Irish tourists abroad spend twice what foreign tourists spend in Ireland.

If Irish people are forced to holiday at home prices will go up.

For people who booked pre-covid 19 madness, and their balance is coming due - have you seen any price spikes?
Are the price jumps only on new bookings?

anyone got any recommendations for self catering somewhere that isnt all booked up already?

Wexford? I can recommend Rosslare as a lovely relaxing spot

Hi with this Covid 19 putting a trip overseas almost impossible this summer I've been looking around at some hotel breaks and it seems that a lot of the hotels have increased there prices for overnight stays and with all the new guidelines I'm finding it hard to see the attraction,I think I might hold out for an Autumn break overseas,What are you guys planing.
There is nothing stopping you going on holiday to some European destinations right now.

It always sounded nice to me, but the more I think about it, (maybe the older I get) it is losing it's attraction.
1500 Euros is quite a sum for 8 days. It would certainly pay for some very comfortable guesthouses, B&B. Nice cooked breakfast, maybe dinner too.
Then when I see the "extras" windscreen cover, chemical toilets and the thoughts of driving a big van around some of Ireland's rural roads, it becomes even less attractive.
Good luck though and let us know how it goes.
I draw the line at chemical toilets. But the idea of being in a big van on an Irish country road with a big lorry approaching me sends the hebe jsybays down my spine.

I love the theory of a camper van but couldn't be dealing with the practicalities either. A fairly near neighbour of mine used to use his to move to the beach 10km away for a lot of the summer, parked up in a small not that well used car park. I think I'd prefer a camper van for a holiday on my own :)

Mrs joer has picked up some very good hotel deals for July , August , October . She is signed up to their loyalty deals which gives discounts on breaks. Also one-for-all cards are used in a lot of hotels in Ireland.
We would much prefer hotels to camping breaks.

With the rules and guidelines changing almost every week it will be interesting to see what the final guidelines for the hotel industry will be,
as I'd imagine come opening date things might be slightly different than what we think now.

I am looking forward to our late July hotel break and to see how different things will be from the last time we stayed there. It should be interesting.

I've being looking a little bit more into to this and it seems that there is a good demand for hotels with good outside space especially gardens and even parks being close by seem to be a big deciding factor in where people are choosing to stay.

Back