Irish Savings Accounts for UK Residents

S

Shane45

Hi,

I am returning to Ireland after living in England for a while. I had planned to get my banking sorted out in advance. I have opened a savings account with Anglo Irish and they have been very efficient. Given recent events I want to diversify my savings. However I am having difficulty finding other financial institutions in Ireland offering the ability to open a savings account from England.

I know I can wait until I get back home and open an account then but there will be a rigmarole with proof of address etc and I want to get it sorted now.

Anyone know of any banks/building societies that will allow me to open an account from England?

Thanks,
Shane

I opened an account with NIB a couple of years before returning from UK...no problems and the relationship with the branch stood to me when it came time to sort a mortgage....

There is a previous thread on this one as it comes up frequently.

No - you cannot set up a bank account in another country (including Ireland) solely by telephone or mail. You would have to present yourself at the bank in person to sign the account application. However in every other respect there is no difficulty setting up bank accounts in advance prior to moving to Ireland from the UK subject to the usual checks and documentation.

Thanks for the replies.

26cb: I will try NIB and see if they will do something for me.

Marie:

You would have to present yourself at the bank in person to sign the account application.

I have already opened an account with Anglo Irish without visiting an Anglo Irish branch, it was all done on the phone and by post.

However in every other respect there is no difficulty setting up bank accounts in advance prior to moving to Ireland from the UK subject to the usual checks and documentation.

One of the conditions of many of the accounts I have been looking at is that you have to be an Irish resident, this is the problem I am facing. For example I filled out an online application form (sorry can't remember which bank) which had a drop down list from which you chose your country of residence. The options included Azerbaijan. At the end of the form I was told that I wasn't eligible because I lived in England. Would I have qualified if I had lived in Azerbaijan? Rubbish service, rubbish software.

I have got a potentially positive email from Irish Nationwide which I'll check out. I'll also check out NIB, thanks. But I'll also go back and trawl through the various banks a bit more systematically.

Thanks for the answers,
Shane.

INBS offer stg and Irish accounts Pls find UK details
United Kingdom
Branch: London Address: 122 Wigmore Street, 3rd Floor, London, W1U 3RX. Telephone: 00 44 0207 725 0250 Fax: 00 44 0207 224 2296 Contact Branch: Click here to contact Branch [broken link removed]

Back