Irish law on a particular word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbutcher

I dont want to use the word here as I dont want to cause offense to anyone or be blocked. The word I am referring to is the word a lot of people use when talking about travellers, the one that begins with the letter k.
Is it an offense to call someone by that name? I know travellers dont like it, I believe it may be an offense to call a traveller one. However, is it an offence to call someone who has nothing to do with the traveler community a k....?
Serious reason for posting this question.

There are knackers and knackerys and knackers' yards. It's a real job. They put down sick and injured animals and process dead ones into useful end-products.

It is extremely difficult for a prosecution under the Incitement To Hatred Act to succeed and very few have. Rightly so. Sticks and stones, etc......

Temper, frustration, years of lack of consideration for neighbours, being called a c--t, driving dangerously with speed on road with young kids and pets playing, leaving an unisured and untaxed van to rot on road, having 3rd partied come to unload rubble into their garden...

Right, I think I see the picture now; you know it is a pejorative expression and you used it to insult this person and they threatened to sue.

Based on your description, your neighbours behaviours are not pleasant; if you focus on the behaviour and not the personality you'll do better.

Last edited:
Its really great to be able to get information / views etc on this site. I dont believe for a minute he would sue me, but I believe he may have reported me to the Guards. We were away for a few days, when we returned there was a card from a Guard asking me to contact her, I tried immediatly but she is off until next Tuesday. So, him reporting me to the Guards is the only thing I can think it can be. All the neighbours feel the same about them / their behaviour...I snapped on that occassion, no one on the road has had any contact / conversations with them for years.

Unfortunately, the Garda might well take action on an accusation of racism while taking no action on the breaches of planning legislation. They might take action on an untaxed van though.

Brendan

Thirsty, not sure what you mean, however, after 25 years of noise, dirt, polution, aggression, speedinng, abondoned vans, builders rubble coming from other building sites, third parties bringing rubble and rubbish and finally being callrd a c**t in front of my 86 year old mother I snapped, I have had enough, the comment wasnt a racist comment it was a comnent of pure and utter frustration. The worst part is they dont even live there anymore and they are still causing problems.

Have done all that, got the van sorted thats why I was called the c word. I have spokenwith LA re rubble etc, theyre not really interested...I am in the process of submitting a letter to the planning officer as the premises has been used as a commercial premises for 25 years without being registered, so no commercial rates, insurance no ssfety statements etc. Whem I ssy me I mean all of us as a group of neighbours. We have contacted local county councillers...no real interest, there is one counciller living at the far end of the road...again, it doesnt impact her so no real interest.

Have done all that, got the van sorted thats why I was called the c word. I have spokenwith LA re rubble etc, theyre not really interested...I am in the process of submitting a letter to the planning officer as the premises has been used as a commercial premises for 25 years without being registered, so no commercial rates, insurance no ssfety statements etc. Whem I ssy me I mean all of us as a group of neighbours. We have contacted local county councillers...no real interest, there is one counciller living at the far end of the road...again, it doesnt impact her so no real interest.
As far as I know, planning complaints only go back seven years. If they've been using it as a commercial premises for 25 years and no-one has previously complained to the planning office, there won't be much they can do.
You could complain to the HSA about lack of safety. You could report their abuse to you as a public order offence to the Garda when you catch up.

A good test for this (in terms of acceptability rather than legal) is to first think of an antisemitic slur. Then imagine using the slur against someone who isn’t Jewish. Is it an antisemitic thing to do? Of course it is. Many people are the subject of homophobic abuse even though they’re not gay. But it’s still homophobic.

Using an anti-Traveller term of abuse to someone who isn’t a Traveller is still racist. I would guess it’s illegal but would equally guess that you’re unlikely to face prosecution.

The original question has been answered.

Those of you who want to let off steam can do so in the appropriate forum.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back