Ireland to move to Level 5 for January

1st March: junior infants, senior infants, first class, second class and Leaving Cert return to school.
15th March: remainder of primary school and fifth year return to school.
12th April: remainder of secondary return to school.

Otherwise, as you were ‘til 5th April.

1st March: junior infants, senior infants, first class, second class and Leaving Cert return to school.

I should add that some third class students will also be returning on 1st March, e.g. where there is a mixed class of 2nd class and 3rd class pupils.

If schools can open safely then why not.
That can also be said for other businesses.

School pupils are in “pods” of six separated from each other.
The entire class is in a “bubble” that is insulated from other bubbles.
Contract tracing has shown that despite hundreds of cases of pupils in classes from September to December, transmission cases have been extremely low. Lower than in households or in the community.
Education is regarded by many as a human right.

I’m not sure if (m)any of the above can be applied to a hairdressers or a clothes shop or a pub.

I’m not sure if (m)any of the above can be applied to a hairdressers or a clothes shop or a pub.

True, and when we hear today of a case confirmed last week who had 38 close contacts within the current restrictions, imagine what would happen if more workplaces were allowed open!!

What is wrong with hairdressers opening and allowing only two or three people in at any one time , like I said safely. I can not see any problem there.

What is wrong with hairdressers opening and allowing only two or three people in at any one time , like I said safely. I can not see any problem there.

Social distancing of 2m would be impossible between the hairdresser and his/her client. If anything, hairdressers, massage parlours, nail bars should be the last to reopen. Anywhere there is contact for more than a few seconds.

Social distancing of 2m would be impossible between the hairdresser and his/her client.

Proof of Negative Rapid Antigen Test for customer before admission, FFP3 mask on hairdresser.

I think spending 9 or 10 euro on a RAT before entering pubs the last time they reopened, and only allowing admission to those patrons that were negative, would have done more to suppress the spread of sar co v2 than a €9 bowl of chicken wings.

Fuehrer Holohan doesn't seem to think so though and that's all that matters.

In order for that to approach anything like safe they would need to adopt the PPE & sanitisation measures taken by medical staff who are treating potential Covid patients.

School pupils are in “pods” of six separated from each other.
The entire class is in a “bubble” that is insulated from other bubbles.
Contract tracing has shown that despite hundreds of cases of pupils in classes from September to December, transmission cases have been extremely low. Lower than in households or in the community.
Education is regarded by many as a human right.

Just saying that Freedom of movement and assembly is also a human right and a more significant one than education.
Also kids will mix when they meet outside of school - regardless of the bubbles.

Last edited:
Proof of Negative Rapid Antigen Test for customer before admission, FFP3 mask on hairdresser.

Would you not expect those who are Covid positive and contagious, but still not to the point to trigger a positive antigen test to be a problem there?

Germany is opening the hair dressers first of March. Here in Ireland I received already two recommendations where I can get a black market hair cut which I assume is thriving.

A university in Berlin did a study how large the risk is in different settings.

R Number for a two hour visit at the hair dresser is 0.6 - being half an hour in the bus has an R Number of 0.8 and in schools the R Number is 2,9 with masks and the class divided into two.
German only:

With all the restrictions and limitations in place and all the underhand economic activities it feels like living in Communist East Germany or Communist Romania

The hairdresser that I use spent a lot of money during the first lock down to make sure they were safe. When they opened it was very safe, screens, hand sanitizer, face masks etc. If both the hairdersser and the customer are wearing masks I don"t see what the problem is.
As well as that I need a haircut.....

The hairdresser that I use spent a lot of money during the first lock down to make sure they were safe. When they opened it was very safe, screens, hand sanitizer, face masks etc. If both the hairdersser and the customer are wearing masks I don"t see what the problem is.
As well as that I need a haircut.....

Why is it you think that health care staff treating potential cases are being taped into their PPE and changing it fully between patients? With so many seeming unable to correctly wear a mask, I wouldn't be so quick to trust.

Fair point. I know exactly what health care staff have to do on a daily basis . I can only speak for where I go and I know it would be safe otherwise I would not go.

Fair point. I know exactly what health care staff have to do on a daily basis . I can only speak for where I go and I know it would be safe otherwise I would not go.

Yeah, my wife works in one of the main hospitals so I hear the horror stories and see how many of her friends who are cautious and going through the ordeal of regular full PPE changes yet are still contracting Covid, so the thoughts that two people who are likely wearing ill-fitting masks are safe jars with me.

My daughter in law works in a nursing home so I hear the stories also. I will always put the health of everyone above everything else .

Back