Irìsh Ferries Deposit on One way trip in early July

diceyreilly

Hi All
I paid a €100 deposit on a single trip to Cherbourg in early July with the balance to be paid shortly. I contacted Irìsh Ferries to see what options if we didn’t/couldn’t travel. Obviously a refund of the €100 now would be worth so much but a voucher to be used next year would be appreciated as one expiring in 2020 looks pointless. It would also retain me as a customer for the future. Any comments appreciated. This is the reply: from Irìsh Ferries:
Dear
Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
If you wish to proceed and cancel the booking, then it would be subject to our normal terms and conditions which be a loss of your deposit paid €100.00. I’m afraid 100.00€ will be lost and it would no be possible to use this against a future trip in 2021.
You can also amend your booking to travel at a later date within the current year and this would need to be done before the original date of sailing. Any changes would be charged a difference in ticket price (where applicable) and amendment fees that would normally apply.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed.
Thanks and regards

A refund is unlikely in any event. The balance on the ferry trip is not due until 42 days before travel. Wait until just before then to cancel. A week or so ago they were offering a €100 credit on cancellation for those travelling up to 31st May . . this has now been pushed out to those travelling up to 15th June (credit till end 2021) . . it's a rolling situation and may include your departure date before the balance is due.

Last edited:
I paid €100 deposit last October. Was planning on paying the balance in the New Year, but then Covid took hold, so I didn't pay it. Naively (and admittedly, stupidly), I thought that I'd get an email to remind me to pay balance or that I'd get nothing at all and booking would be deemed null and void. Kind of put it all to the back of my mind because there was a huge amount going on at home. Anyway, yesterday, Irish Ferries debited my account by nearly €1300. I've been trying to get in touch to see if I can get refund, but no response yet. I did speak to one person on the phone who told me that they had changed their cancellation days from 42 to 35. Yesterday would have been 35 days, since we were due to travel on the 12th June (it's ludicrous anyway, since no one is allowed into France until after the 15th). Does anyone know if I'll be entitled to full or partial refund? I'd say I'll be a while waiting on their response.

Back