IP Camera Data usage via Mobile Broadband?

Red Setter 101

Hi All,

I have a Vodafone B3500 broadband device and I am thinking of installing 2 X IP cameras for CCTV outside. For the most part I just want to be able to view outside house if alarm goes off etc. I plan to link via cat 5 cables to the device.

My main concern is the data usage from the 2 cameras. I am thinking 2X 2MP Hikvison Cameras.

If cameras are on 24/7 will it use data or only when I view remotely?
If Data is used how much in rough numbers MB per day or GBs?
what is best way to limit usage?
Will it kill speed of Broadband elsewhere?
Any other problems I need to watch out for?

Anyone here tried this before? Appreciate the feedback..

Thanks,

RS101

Frame rate will determine the overall data transfer rate from the cameras. But that'll be data transfer back to your recorder, which won't go over the broadband. What are you using for NVR? Many NVRs will allow you connect to view remotely, and so you'll only use broadband data when you're viewing footage.

Thanks Leo, I hadn't counted on the NVR at all.. looks like a major gap in my plan.. If I don't have an NVR does this just mean I have viewing and nothing gets recorded and only data consumed is what I am viewing when I log in?..

Assuming that I need a NVR - For this type of set up would you have any recommendation for an NVR.

RS101

If you don't have an NVR, you'll get nothing. The cameras won't have the required hardware/software to communicate with the broadband device to transmit over the network or to allow your phone view the feeds.

Hikvision NVRs get good reviews, and you know they'll work with the cameras. Starting to look at them myself now to replace a cheap Chinese DVR I have.

Ok thanks - learning here but sounds like plan workable with NVR and will try match them.... In this case NVR storage is key if i want to go back over few days. I found calculator online for storage needed which seems to be good.. I need to go back and look at the Cameras to decide what FPS I need? - 7 to 15 looks ok for what i am thinking. Is this typically something i can select on the Camera in the set up?
Also you note above "Many" NVRs.. is 1 NVR suffice for 2 cameras.

Yeah, recording frame rate will be configurable. Most NVRs support 4 or more cameras, the specs will identify that clearly.

Back