Invoiced by solicitor after nearly 4 years!

I think that the respectable thing to do is pay the bill. That solicitor worked for you, and forgot to send a bill, but that is absolutely no justification for not paying him. To be fair, you could have rang him for that bill a long time ago.

From my own perspective, I have always worked in a factory. I get paid every month without fail and am thankful for it. It is a sheltered existance. I often had dealings with people, particulary tradesmen such as plumbers, electricians, plasterers who have done work for clients and who have not been paid. They have little or no protection against this. I feel sorry for them. People who supply goods all too frequently get caught out too, and don't get paid. It is not right.

The solicitor is within his rights to send the invoice as the statute of limitations is not up. He is wrong to have invoiced you 3 or 4 years later, unless there was a reason for this (land registry delay for example). He is wrong if there was a delay in not sending you at least once every 6 months a reminder that the bill would be issued when the 'issue' was cleared up. You were wrong not to enquire about the bill, you did know you owed it.

As you are now finding it difficult to pay, and the solicitor will be aware a lot of people are struggling. Then a mutual arrangement whereby you pay x amount per week/month until it is paid should be worked out.

On a side note to the legal eagles:

Does the Law society not give guidence on time frames in relation to bills. I know of no other professsion who seem to send bills years later, apparently out of the blue to their clients. Even if there are reasons for the delay, surely the client, being a client, should be given at least 6 monthly updates.

Hi all,

I had some dealings with a solicitor about three / four years ago and he was to send us an invoice. It never arrived. Now three years later I have just received an invoice for €1600, can he do this after all this time?

Regards

Post Celtic Tiger Broken Man

OP posted only once about this. Gave very little detail. Did not dispute the amount. From that one post, people drew lots of assumptions.

Solicitors run businesses. Like every business, some are more or less efficient than others.

My view on all matters is: what would a Court say? Here, it is more likely that a Court would say : bad form in not issuing invoice but money is due. Pay up. Being annoyed about an invoice being issued after three years is not a defence but it will be helpful in looking for time to pay.

And just as a by the way, clients are sometimes ( and increasingly so) nasty, manipulative, underhanded pieces of work who are happy to take advices but see no reason to pay fees. And those are the ones who have the money but use the recession to justify their meanness.

mf

Involve after 7 years

My Solicitor actually has sent an invoice after 7 years. The excuse has been used that they have sent invoice at the address when I used his service for one day. I stayed in that address for 1 year and never got an invoice. They had my phone no, never got a phone call and now after 7 years! Can they do thar?

Unless he's started legal proceedings within the 6 years from the date the debt was due I'm not certain he has a case. No doubt others will answer. Regardless of this you got a service and owe him money. Will you follow sharp practice and deny the debt just because it may be possible for you to do this or will you pay the debt?

I'm concerned that people don't pay their debts and instead wind up here looking to see if they an get off paying debts they admit were run up.

unless he's started legal proceedings within the 6 years from the date the debt was due i'm not certain he has a case. No doubt others will answer. Regardless of this you got a service and owe him money. Will you follow sharp practice and deny the debt just because it may be possible for you to do this or will you pay the debt?

I'm concerned that people don't pay their debts and instead wind up here looking to see if they an get off paying debts they admit were run up.

+1

Stardom said:
My Solicitor actually has sent an invoice after 7 years. The excuse has been used that they have sent invoice at the address when I used his service for one day. I stayed in that address for 1 year and never got an invoice. They had my phone no, never got a phone call and now after 7 years! Can they do thar?

Unless he's started legal proceedings within the 6 years from the date the debt was due I'm not certain he has a case. No doubt others will answer. Regardless of this you got a service and owe him money. Will you follow sharp practice and deny the debt just because it may be possible for you to do this or will you pay the debt?

ONQ in itself thats all very well, and I do not condone people reneging on debt, however I know that if I received an invoice for services rendered 7 years ago, I for one, and I suspect many other people would not remember how much was owed, especially if I knew/thought that I had paid all or part of the monies owed.

I don't think to be expected to produce receipts pertaining to 7 year old bills/outstanding debts is reasonable.

As you, I also would be concerned, but more so, about people who flout the 6 year time limit law. Why so long, what are they up to....looking for more than originally owed.....looking to be paid twice.......etc.

IMHO 6 years is more that ample time to seek payment, remember, these laws are there to protect people.

The amount owed is written on the invoice, so no feats of memory are required.
I didn't say I was concerned about why it took so long and I certainly didn't imply any wrongdoing on their part in relation to additional payments or double payments.
In relation to the six years, I included and "if then" clause about whether the solicitor can reasonably expect to be paid if he hasn't commenced action withing the six years.
I agree that six years is sufficient time in which to act, if you're a solicitor seeking payment.

ONQ.

My Solicitor actually has sent an invoice after 7 years. They had my phone no, never got a phone call and now after 7 years! Can they do thar?

No they cannot do this, the statute of limitations is 6 years. And they are outrageous sending you a bill after 7 years. Very very shoddy to be invoicing now.

And just as a by the way, clients are sometimes ( and increasingly so) nasty, manipulative, underhanded pieces of work who are happy to take advices but see no reason to pay fees. And those are the ones who have the money but use the recession to justify their meanness.

That is very sad. What is wrong with people.

Back