Investment Trust options

Would you give us a glimpse at what those companies are in your 50 stock portfolio ? I know we are not supposed to push individual stocks, also are you managing it for them, oh you need to sell this now and buy this instead, so the 50 stock portfolio is gradually being changed. For example if you had a 50 stock portfolio from 1970 of the biggest companies then, alot of them are gone or are tiny shadows of their former selves.
No, I don’t manage it…I’m not that stupid ;)

I haven’t looked at it for a while, but from memory there are things like Microsoft, Alphabet, Apple, Amazon, BNP, Heineken, LVMH, BNP, Unilever, AIB, Disney, Goldman Sachs…that sort of thing.

The perpetual question whenever the issue of investing in non-Irish assets, and especially American ones, arises (especially when the people involved are older): are they concerned about estate taxes or other possible inheritance complications?

The perpetual question whenever the issue of investing in non-Irish assets, and especially American ones, arises (especially when the people involved are older): are they concerned about estate taxes or other possible inheritance complications?
No, that’s covered off.

They tend to sporadically appear/disappear off the brokerage platforms. For a time a couple of years ago, they weren't available on DeGiro at all. Then they mostly were added to it, except for JAM. Then IBKR removed JAM for a few weeks at the start of this year because they hadn't gotten the updated KIID.

JAM is now available on both DeGiro and IBKR.

If Saxo if your brokerage of choice then you should contact them and ask them to add it. There's no reason why it shouldn't be available to you.
I’ve pushed Saxo on the availability of this as far as I can, they are adamant that it’s not available to non professional investors or those with 500k or less in the markets ?, the main explanation given is that JAM has no KID , in fairness I’ve come across several articles which support Saxo’s claim that changes have happened since the beginning of this year which make some trusts unavailable

I’ve pushed Saxo on the availability of this as far as I can, they are adamant that it’s not available to non professional investors or those with 500k or less in the markets ?, the main explanation given is that JAM has no KID , in fairness I’ve come across several articles which support Saxo’s claim that changes have happened since the beginning of this year which make some trusts unavailable
There's a KID dated December 30th 2022 under Documents on the JAM webpage here. This is the same document that is available under the documents section on DeGiro. Are they not accepting that as valid?

I'm just an ordinary punter, but there doesn't seem to be a valid reason for Saxo not to offer this investment. The fact that they are the outlier in not offering JAM would seem to back that up.

There's a KID dated December 30th 2022 under Documents on the JAM webpage here. This is the same document that is available under the documents section on DeGiro. Are they not accepting that as valid?

I'm just an ordinary punter, but there doesn't seem to be a valid reason for Saxo not to offer this investment. The fact that they are the outlier in not offering JAM would seem to back that up.
I can’t find it right now but I’ve come across articles that said accessibility was changing after January 1st ?

On another note, I tried attempting to open an account with De Giro yesterday and no matter what characters I used , the system kept telling me they were invalid?

On another note, I tried attempting to open an account with De Giro yesterday and no matter what characters I used , the system kept telling me they were invalid?
Password, didn’t matter if I inputted uppercase, lowercase and other character combo , it wouldn’t accept
“ the username must be at least six characters long and contain only letters and numbers “
I'm totally confused now.... o_O

Received this earlier in relation to my request to purchase JAM

BC77513F-436A-47DB-B523-2475FA68672D.png

So is this a fairly standard approach now, investing in trusts instead of ETFs? Can you offset losses?

Many of the investment trusts have similar top 20 stocks although in different ratio. For instance, any US based investment trust will have Alphabet, Amazon, Meta, Apple, Nvidia and so on. Is there any advantage of buying through these investment funds instead buying directly ?

- Cheaper to buy a single IT stock over multiple stocks.
- The IT trade on LSE which depending on your broker will be cheaper than NYSE/NASDAQ
- For larger purchases(over $60k in total ) you would avoid US estate taxes if you died owning the US stocks directly.

It's generally not cheaper to buy since:
- Investment Trusts attract an extra 0.5% stamp duty tax vs buying individual US stocks.

For example, for a €10k investment:
- buying 20 US stocks on Degiro costs 20 x €2 = €40
- buying JAM Investment Trust costs €4.90 + 10,000 x 0.005 = €54.90

Degiro is even on the expensive side for US stocks, other brokers can be much cheaper than €2 per trade.

Last edited:
Where do people buy UK investment trusts these days? I used to do that on Degiro for past 1.5 years. But right now trusts like SMT, FCIT, MNKS are no longer available for purchase. I know from this thread that they were on and off the platform before that as well. Was the solution to just hope and wait?

I contacted Degiro, and they said that KID is not available and product is not "passported" in Ireland. I was surprised but they asked me to provide a KID to them. Both SMT and FCIT have KIDs dated 2023, but I have not tried that yet.

Back