Investment direction

C

civic

Hi..

My wife and I - both early thirties.. having recently taken jobs in co. Waterford - sold our house in Dublin in December - so have no mortgage.. Now with ~200k in the bank (Northern Rock demand online) - no loans, have pensions and ~30k in shares are wondering what next. We expect to buy a house with a 381k limit - but unsure how long to wait.. 800per month is current rent.. What are the best option for the 200k hard earned cash..? combined salaries or about 120k..

Thanks,

Civic

If you are planning to buy a house imminently then perhaps you want to minimise the risk on your funds and, as such, a high rate deposit account for most or all of it might be the best option especially since you already have €30K (directly?) in shares as well as your pensions? See the Financial Best Buys forum for details of such accounts. But what is suitable for your specific needs really depends on a much more detailed analysis of your overall financial situation, plans etc. Have you read the AAM and IFSRA guides to savings & investments and the other threads linked from the key posts thread at the top of this forum?

Thanks Clubman... I'm concerned that the housing market will drop somewhat.. Many houses in the region are on the market since July 06. so I expect to wait and see until the May timeframe. Any recommendations on who to go to for a more detailed analysis of my financial situation - with unbiased direction ... ??

Talk to a good authorised advisor or multi-agency intermediary. Avoid tied agents for advice. Only deal with them if you want a sales pitch or else have already decided that their products are for you.

Back