invest at home or abroad

coleen

I have about 65k to invest and would like to buy something to let i cant decide between ireland or abroad i have looked at portugal and would get much more for my money there than here i have seen 2 bed apartments for 80.000 euro where I would have to spend at least 200.000 here. I am more intrested in capital app rather than rental income of course i would like that it would cover the morgage i am looking at this as a sort of pension can any one advise on pros and cons

Have you thought about getting a good share portfolio as an alternative to property investment?

According to Channel 4's programme about the top 20 places to invest in euro property for the next 10 years, Ireland was still quite high up there. When you take into account rent and capital appreciation they reckonned close to a 350% over the next 10 years, wild I know.

The Europe only list isn't actually here but maybe others saw the program
[broken link removed]

To be honest my attitude is if you used the 65k as a deposit towards a house and stamp duty in Ireland, you would buy a house for in the region of 300,000 depending on your income etc. If this house rose by 10% over a number year you would obviously see a gain of 30,000. This appreciation seems reasonable in the current Irish housing market.

However if you were to buy a property in any other country, not take out a mortgage and put all of your 65k into this you would have to see a gain of 50% year on year to match the 10% that you would make if you bought it in Ireland.

budapest said:
Have you thought about getting a good share portfolio as an alternative to property investment?
hi budapest i am unsure about portfolios as i feel i dont know enough about them how do you know which is a good one

coleen said:
i am unsure about portfolios as i feel i dont know enough about them how do you know which is a good one

How do you know enough about property to build a good portfolio?

Research is the answer.

Start by reading the Key Posts and useful links in the Savings and Investments forum.

Anyone ever have any dealings with Dreamhomes WW ? I'm considering going on a trip to check out the scene in Budapest. Would be grateful for the benefit of anyone elses experience.
Yes, property in Ireland can be bought but unless you're in a very good location it's not as easy to get tenants as it used to be.
Am also looking at Berlin for this reason. From what I hear always a steady supply of long term tenants.
All comments welcome .......

If you decide that overseas property investment is the correct solution for you, then I can recommend Budapest as a strong possibility. Stick to central areas, such as districts V, VI, parts of VII and parts of IX. Returns are in the region of 6% and capital appreciation prospects would appear to be good. The rental market isn't so amazing as there are more apartments than people to rent them but if you find a good one, then I don't see why you shouldn't get it rented out at a fair price.
In my opinion, you should be wary of new builds, particularly in the suburbs, but also in central Pest as they tend to be overpriced and aimed at the foreigner. They are also invariably ugly and not built to the same standard as the beautiful older buildings.

Good luck!
Budapest.

[broken link removed]

Back