Invalidity Pension application form

Roro999

I understand this payment is not means tested and is based on one's social insurance contributions. So irrespective of the number of bank accounts or pensions one has it doesn't matter and yet this information is requested. Onr could be a millionaire and still qualify. Yet why so many sources of income questions are required to be reported on ?

1. Are you sure you have the right form, INV1?
2. You only need to provide financial information if you are applying for increase for dependents, or if you are applying for other means tested allowances as part of the application. If you're not applying for either, the instructions should tell you to skip to the next section.

I understand this payment is not means tested and is based on one's social insurance contributions. So irrespective of the number of bank accounts or pensions one has it doesn't matter and yet this information is requested. Onr could be a millionaire and still qualify. Yet why so many sources of income questions are required to be reported on ?

You are correct in that:

1. it doesn't matter, and

2. you are required to provide the information!

I think it's for statistical reasons but SW weren't able to explain it to the satisfaction of a pal of mine who applied - and got it - a couple of years ago. He found it extremely annoying!

1. Are you sure you have the right form, INV1?
2. You only need to provide financial information if you are applying for increase for dependents, or if you are applying for other means tested allowances as part of the application. If you're not applying for either, the instructions should tell you to skip to the next section.
Yes Invalidity Pension form is IV1. On second look you are correct. One can skip that area of bank accounts etc., once not claiming increase for spouse and children. Sorry for raising the query as I should have read the form correctly.

I have received a long term illness card so hope for no rejection.
The LTI card will have no baring on the ultimate decision as it covers a range of illnesses that are not necessarily debilitating.

Your application will be assessed on Medical reports and Contributions so I'd just say have as much medical reports as possible. If you were on illness benefit for over a year it will go someway to help with your application. Initial rejections of both Disability Allowance and IP is common but insure you appeal immediately if this happens .

Thanks. Would my age 64 have any bearing I wonder on the IP application. I am giving up work due to ill health. Should I maybe be going illness benefit route. Would a letter from my employer stating ceasing work on ill health be of any use ?

Hi There, your age would have no baring as long as you have the required stamps and at 62 I would be confident you have enough, contributions paid. Illness benefit would likely be approved immediately if your GP certifies you , my suggestion if I may, would be to get approved for illness benefit first if you are unable to work , your GP can issue a closed cert which means no need for monthly certs. The GP will only issue this if your illness will be long term, over 12 months. IB is not means tested and if awarded it doesn't stop you applying for IP. Its important to note, IB has no additional entitlements attached like Fuel allowance. Keep in mind the IP or indeed DA application process can take months and Job seekers wouldn't be an option due to the fact you must be seeking employment.

if you are giving up work, my advice is to go on illness benefit initially if you can't continue to work and also commence the application for IP immediately , if you can continue to work whilst applying for IP , fine but just make sure you have medical reports, evidence etc .

They include these questions in case you do not qualify for the benefit you are applying for. If you fail to qualify they would then do a means test to check if you can qualify for another means tested benefit.

Back