Internet advertising models - what's the current thinking?

Dinarius

I am currently researching an idea for a website which would partly rely on advertising for revenue generation.

I am curious to know what the current state of play is with regard to the success or otherwise of advertising on the internet. My concern is not advertising per se, but the different methods used.

What is the view on 'click through'? Does it work? How is it costed? Obviously, a click through on a Google results page has got to be worth more than a click through from any page on a .ie site. But, how much more (or less)?

What about fixed banner advertising on, say, homepages? Does buying up a frame on a page for a month or two pay off? How is that charged?

And what of the dreaded pop-up ads? With most of us using the pop-up prevention feature in our browsers, has this model died a death?

My idea would be to offer companies, with similar products, free presence on a page on a click through basis. e.g. Divide a page into, say, 20 frames. Each frame contains the masthead of a company. When the viewer clicks on the masthead he/she is taken directly to the company's own website page dealing with that product. A kind of portal, if you will.

However, I intend to develop this idea in a few ways:

1. Every 15 minutes or so, the 20 frames would be randomly redistributed. So that, for example, Joe Bloggs appearing in the middle now might be bottom left hand corner in 15 minutes time. The effect of this would be that no company would have the prime middle or top left hand corner frames all of the time.

2. A company would have the option of buying a fixed spot on the screen. The remaining companies would then continue to be randomly distributed around this frozen frame.

3. A company would have the option of buying a group of frames, e.g. four together, so that their masthead would appear much larger than the others.

I am told that the program to randomly distrbute the frames would be fairly straightforward.

No one would come to the site unless they were looking for the products being offered, so there is no question of the advertising impinging on the viewer.

Does this make sense? It's not something I have seen anywhere, but then again, I don't use portal type websites much.

Any views?

D.

Most of what you describe is available already so I wouldn't go inventing any new wheels. If you are looking for banner ad code for a php board pm me and I can put you in touch with a good author. It includes timed placements etc etc You should obviously also think about using Google adsense for revenue generation. I would not do pop ups. Some niche sites offer fixed banner ad placements for periods ie reserve for a month etc. Are you thinking of a variation of the millliondollarhomepage? If it is a portal you can also consider advertsing in your subscriber Newsletters. I would advise you look at the media packs for similar portals and see what they have to offer since your customers will be comparing against those.

Good luck with it!
[broken link removed]

Hi,

The hardest thing about having a website is the advertising of it.
I have helped people set up their websites and you can forget about the website appearing in Googles results for about 6-12 months.

Your idea is based on other companies paying you to appear on your webpage. For this to work your webpage would need to rank higher in Google's results than their own when searching for a specific query.

The advertising models I have seen are Free Submission to Directories. Fixed Rate to have a banner shown for period shown(user tracks referrals themselves) and thirdly user is given a login to a 3rd party site were they can track ad impressions and adclicks.

I have used Google as an example above as the other search engines lag far behind as the Irish surfers search engine of choice

Newsletter,

Thanks for the reply.

No, I am certainly not thinking of a variant of the MDH. Though I wish I had thought of it!

What I have in mind has been a proven success in the UK, but I'd like to expand it.

The reason I am interested in web advertising is that it would be one of my principal sources of revenue. I am offering no product as such, only an online service. So, once the site is built, that's is pretty much it; at least as presently conceived.

Also, the domain name is self explanatory, making the advertising of the site that bit easier. I hope!

Your point about advertising in subscribers newletters is an interesting one.

D.

Charlie,

My website would have little or no relevance to those living outside Ireland. Does this affect the importance of Google hits in terms of its success?

However, I take your point about potential advertisers wanting my site to rank above theirs before taking the plunge with me. That would obviously be my aim.

I believe that the choice of domain name, the Ireland-specific nature of the site (for example, when using Google do you ever click on the 'Ireland only' results option? I do it all the time. I would hope that anyone using that option would pull my site near the top of the hit list.) and the narrowness of what I am offering would help it to be easily targeted and therefore marketable.

There is no competitor currently operating in the Irish market in the unified way that I would hope to operate. By this I mean that, while there are sites where this service can be found, the user has nowhere to compare and contrast similar offerings, so to speak.

D.

Dinarius said:
What is the view on 'click through'? Does it work? How is it costed? Obviously, a click through on a Google results page has got to be worth more than a click through from any page on a .ie site. But, how much more (or less)?

Hi, I run a Google AdSense supported site. You seem to think there is a set value for 'click throughs' - this is not the case. The ad's displayed on google results sheets and those on websites are sold in a type of 'Auction'. You type 'shoes' into google and the resulting ad's from top to bottom are who ever pays the most - Company A at the top of the list might pay $0.75 per click through whilst the last company may only pay $0.32. Now if you where to visit a site about shoes with Google ad's on it, the same ad's will proably appear. Google displays Ad's based on a huge amount of data (what it thinks is most relevent i.e. computer ad's on computer review website; clickthrough rates, earnings per click etc.,)

Althought it is not stated; it is believed thar Google splits revenue 80:20 with websites - you get 80% or revenues. For example ad's visit this Google info page: https://www.google.com/adsense/adformats

Now how much you can make is dependent on several factors:

> if your site is about a high paying popular key word such as "computers" then the earnings per click are liklyto be higher than for a word for which their are few advertisers such as "ancient bronze statues"
> The more relevent and useful the ad's the higher the click through - few people click on "free mobile ringtones" but many click on Dell Computers Under $800
> Traffic - the more visitors you have the more clicks - it's a numbers game. My traffic is very small; maybe 70-100 unique visitors a day; but that more than covers my hosting costs and my traffic is doubling every few weeks.

Dinarius

To get listed in the Ireland only results, you would need to have an .ie extension or ensure that your website is physically hosted in Ireland.
Even Irish hosting companies use servers not in Ireland so please be aware of that.

The register is strict on giving out .ie extensions. They have a list of supporting documentation that you may require, for example Business Registration certificate(takes weeks to get from CRO).

There is a whole industry out there focussing on getting to the top of web page results(SEO). The only problem with a directory type web page is that Google can flick a switch and banish these to oblivion.

Would recommend that you also add content. A site like Askaboutmoney will always do well in search results due to the huge amount of content. If they added banner adds here, they would be making hay!!

CharlieC said:
A site like Askaboutmoney will always do well in search results due to the huge amount of content. If they added banner adds here, they would be making hay!!

Not so actually! Message Boards and forums are among the worst performers on the web for adverts - regulars just ignore the ad's most of the time!

Charlie,

I have had the .ie domain for some time. That's the least of my concerns! ;-)

D.

CharlieC said:
I have helped people set up their websites and you can forget about the website appearing in Googles results for about 6-12 months.

I'm not a web designer and don't know much about SEO etc but I think you might be wrong on that one. I have a blog that within a few days was showing in google results and has become the top returned result of 1/4 million on a current news item. Maybe I should get some adsense going on.:)

Icarus said:
I'm not a web designer and don't know much about SEO etc but I think you might be wrong on that one. I have a blog that within a few days was showing in google results and has become the top returned result of 1/4 million on a current news item. Maybe I should get some adsense going on.:)

Yep I agree, my site got listed in Google within a few weeks of launch and quickly became the top/second result for several key phrases/words... one of which was of 3m results (althought it has since declined!).

I use Google Sitemap (BETA) which is extremely good at getting pages indexed.

If you can get a good site linking to you Google will find you quicker.
For new sites some people believe there is a Google Sandbox

Evoke
Google Sandbox, a theory that Google does not give any weight to new sites for a number of months due to their newness.
The sites are doing everything else right like having good sites linking to them etc

Do a search on the term as some articles are better than others

hope this helps

Back